Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bras page 8

happybunny is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That's a great article. Thanks for posting it. I really agree that, if one is not overweight, there is no reason that the body can't hold itself up. I also agree that doing some pushups and pull ups is great for strengthening the natural connective tissue to prevent sagging.
    Umm...32G here. I could still stand to lose 10 lbs, but the boobs haven't gone anywhere during the last 30 lbs, so I'm not sure another 10 will make much difference.

Also, I'm very skeptical of the idea that bras lead to cancer due to restriction of lymph flow. The interpretation of research seems quite dodgy. For the sake of argument, I'll grant that 24-hour bra use is correlated with increased breast cancer. But it didn't take long to find a counterargument that overweight women are far more likely to wear bras that amount of time. Guess what being overweight is correlated with? Breast cancer. So all in all, this seems like the sort of argument that reinterprets correlation as causation. Also, a NYTimes article (which I understand might be rightly taken with a grain of salt) states that women with lymph nodes removed from the chest area don't have higher rates of breast cancer.

I'm not ruling out that not wearing a bra might be more comfortable or even that it might help if you are prone to cysts. But I'm reasonably confident that this one vanity is not going to have an unduly deleterious effect on my well-being. And unfortunately for me in light of my career plans, it seems that one of the more sound ways of decreasing risk of some kinds of breast cancer is having children early and often and breastfeeding them for a long time. But whatever, I couldn't care less if some of you other paleo ladies are happiest bra free

And for fun, a few studies in the research list at Bra Free - Bras and Breast Cancer

"Lymphadema due to chronic penile strangulation: a case report"
    "Loosely-fitted polyester underpants on dogs caused dramatic decreases in sperm counts and an increase in degeneration of the testes." I would be most likely to interpret this as a result of psychological trauma!

Edit to include quote from Wikipedia article about the main source for that website: "Singer and Grismaijer claim to have noticed that the Māori of New Zealand, who are integrated into white culture and therefore wear bras, have the same rate of breast cancer, while the aboriginals of Australia, who are bra-free, have practically no breast cancer. The same was true for “Westernized” Japanese, Fijians and other bra-converted cultures." Sounds to me like there are other aspects of Western culture that could be confounding variables... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressed_to_Kill_(book)
    Last edited by happybunny; 04-09-2013 at 03:39 AM.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    32G here. I look downright lewd in even the most modest of shirts without a bra on, plus the sagging and outward spread make me look like I have no waist. I confine bralessness to in-house time.

I was a 32 DD, made finding bras impossible. Then I was 32 G when pregnant- even harder finding those... And now I'm 30-32 C-D.
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'm small-busted, measuring at a 32B, but more comfortable in a 34A (wide rib cage). I go for cloth bras, sports-style, or the type that can go with or without inserts. I also lean towards androgynous styles when I'm dressing casually, outside of work, so I'm not particularly concerned about how flat-chested I look.

I definitely like how everything feels after a day without a bra at home, like on the weekends. Seems like I need a whole day to really "recover".

Since taking Vitex to raise my low progesterone, my boobs have gotten slightly larger, so that the cup of a 34A underwire bra fits reasonably, but is really more there to prevent anyone from seeing my nipples, not really providing any real support.

I feel very torn between wanting to go braless in public (feel like I can get away with it) for comfort and the socially ingrained "shame" of having nipples showing if it gets chilly (and I am prone to getting cold before others).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I feel very torn between wanting to go braless in public (feel like I can get away with it) for comfort and the socially ingrained "shame" of having nipples showing
    I have this same issue. I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of nipples showing, or feeling like they're swinging around, but when I really think about it, it infuriates me that I'm so uncomfortable with it, so I'm trying to 'force' myself to get over it a little, but it's not easy.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post

Also, I'm very skeptical of the idea that bras lead to cancer due to restriction of lymph flow. The interpretation of research seems quite dodgy. For the sake of argument, I'll grant that 24-hour bra use is correlated with increased breast cancer. But it didn't take long to find a counterargument that overweight women are far more likely to wear bras that amount of time. Guess what being overweight is correlated with? Breast cancer. So all in all, this seems like the sort of argument that reinterprets correlation as causation.
    I refused to believe there was any link between cancer and bras when I first heard about the idea many years ago because I thought the notion was stupid. I mean, not wear a bra, c'mon! And the website, itself, even says that there is no direct research proving anything.

However, I do find the correlation very disturbing, and I do believe that restricting lymph flow, which is tremendously important to our functioning and vastly underestimated and an unknown process by most people is likely a major health issue, if not for cancer then for a lot of other health problems.

Unfortunately, whether it's diet or giving up bras, or anything that doesn't have the potential to earn pharma millions, then we will probably never see solid research proving causation; correlation is probably the best we will ever get and it's up to us to decide what we want to do about it.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I have this same issue. I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of nipples showing, or feeling like they're swinging around, but when I really think about it, it infuriates me that I'm so uncomfortable with it, so I'm trying to 'force' myself to get over it a little, but it's not easy.
    In my mind, I imagine the looks I might get. I don't want that kind of attention. That says more about society's gaze than my fashion choices, I think, so it's not really "my problem". My problem is just "getting over" my mental projection of feeling others gaze on me. I'm sure not many people would notice, except for the nipples... Such a weird response to cold!

I forgot to add in my previous post that when I work my upper body more, especially push-ups and planks, my breasts are definitely lifted a bit. I feel that there is probably an extent to which defining pectoral muscles can help with "lift", but it's still not a bad idea to keep those muscles in some kind of shape, while also ensuring to keep back muscles evenly worked (otherwise you pull your shoulders forward).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

heregoesnothing is online now Junior Member
    To the OP, I used to work at Victoria's Secret and even if you have been measured before I think its worth going to any store that does fittings and try again. If you do decide that wearing a bra is your preference, you really should be able to find something that is comfortable. The VS measurement system is: hold the tape tight around the ribcage directly under breasts. Take that measurement and add 4 (or 5, whatever gets you to an even number). That is your band size. Then measure around the fullest part of the breast, and subtract your band size from that number. 1 inch difference is an A, 2 is a B, 3 is a C, 5 is a DD, etc. So if you are 28 inches at the ribcage and 34 inches around the fullest part, technically you are a 32B. That being said, depending on the distance between your breasts, how wide they are, and your general shape, you sometimes need a "sister size", which is the same total distance around but allocated differently. You could try a 34A or a 34 B to give yourself more width in the cup. You can also try different styles (demi vs full coverage) and different cuts (how they are designed to showcase/support you), since all of them will fit a little differently. I am a 34D and prefer to wear bras, but only if they fit correctly! Also, someone else said that the majority of the support is supposed to come from the band and that is absolutely correct. The straps should not be doing the work/should not be cutting into your shoulders. Hope that is at least a little helpful!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you girls on the nipples showing issue. It ends up being a bit like the bogey on the nogey thing. People can't take their eyes off said boogey !!!!!!!!!
    My issue is more with the rubbing of said nipples on clothes. It actually hurts after a while.............
    I have never heard the link about lymph nodes/bras/cancer however I don't use underarm because I believe that it can't be good for the nodes. I have no scientific basis for my belief - but chemicals under arms, or baked on skin (sunblock) IMO can not be good for us.
    sorry just my .02 cents !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heregoesnothing View Post
    To the OP, I used to work at Victoria's Secret and even if you have been measured before I think its worth going to any store that does fittings and try again. If you do decide that wearing a bra is your preference, you really should be able to find something that is comfortable. The VS measurement system is: hold the tape tight around the ribcage directly under breasts. Take that measurement and add 4 (or 5, whatever gets you to an even number). That is your band size. Then measure around the fullest part of the breast, and subtract your band size from that number. 1 inch difference is an A, 2 is a B, 3 is a C, 5 is a DD, etc. So if you are 28 inches at the ribcage and 34 inches around the fullest part, technically you are a 32B. That being said, depending on the distance between your breasts, how wide they are, and your general shape, you sometimes need a "sister size", which is the same total distance around but allocated differently. You could try a 34A or a 34 B to give yourself more width in the cup. You can also try different styles (demi vs full coverage) and different cuts (how they are designed to showcase/support you), since all of them will fit a little differently. I am a 34D and prefer to wear bras, but only if they fit correctly! Also, someone else said that the majority of the support is supposed to come from the band and that is absolutely correct. The straps should not be doing the work/should not be cutting into your shoulders. Hope that is at least a little helpful!
    Thanks so much Heregoesnothing! Yes, i've tried 34A and 34B. I have a small ribcage (28') and my breasts are wide so I definitely need a B cup. I was once measured as a C and that feel more comfortbale than B. HOWEVER, the problem is that my breasts are still pretty flat, in spite of being wide. (Wow, that sounds attractive!) I think I need something with a big wire, but small cups...Does that exist?!

Still bra free! I was teaching yoga earlier so put one on for modesty but whipped it off as soon as the class was over, ha

Not in front of people, obviously :P
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast