Thread: Herring Salad page

toscamulder is offline Senior Member

Herring Salad

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my fav salad with you; a salad with greens (spinach, iceberg, any salad greens you like, iceberg is my pick, but it doesn't contain a lot of nutrients) and sour herring from a jar. It's quick and easy, I eat it for breakfast all the time!
    The pickled herrings I buy at the Lidl, a 700g (400g of herring) jar for 2 euros. It's MSC (wild also) and the taste is great, although you are either a fan or you hate it.

Ingredients:
    2 large pickled herrings, cut into pieces (I use a pair of scissors for this)
    half a red /yellow bell pepper, cut into pieces
    2 rather large tomatoes, cut into pieces
    Salad greens of your choice, I use half an iceberg crop for both volume and crunch. (:

Just throw everything together, add some balsamic vinegar if you think it's not yet sour enough, and add some (walnut) oil. You can play with quantities 'till they are to your likings. Sometimes I add pine nuts or mac nuts for extra yumminess.
    Enjoy!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Lovely job!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    That sounds wonderful - I love pickled herring!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    +2 on the pickled herring. I'm not much of a salad eater, but I'd eat that minus the lettuce in a heartbeat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Can't wait to try it! Love pickled herring!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.