Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for the elderly page

ChilliSquid is offline Junior Member

Nutrition for the elderly

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Here's my problem.... My father is 82 years old with emphysema. He doesn't eat much and is very picky. I've been given the job by my siblings to find a diet to bulk him up a bit. I don't want to create any more health problems for him, and he doesn't like to listen to any non-hospital given suggestions. What do you think?

chilli

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Soups and stews are a great way to get nutrients in with bone broth, potatoes, and vegetables. Add gelatin and butter for extra nutrition, flavor, and calories.

Don't stress him out with a specific diet. Just make him delicious, nutrient-dense food that he actually likes.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nutrient dense foods would work, if he can tolerate them. Butter and olive oils, fatty cuts of meat, nuts and nut butters, sugary fruits, cheese. As for recommended foods, I'm sure you can google up some reading on the nutrient richness of the foods you're feeding him.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Beyond nutritional value, you want to give him foods that are easy to eat. He is more likely to eat food that he is able to eat without assistance.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

Eggs are very good, and can be added in to lots of other things.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    My grandma, 91, lives with my parents and they feed her a protein shake (with whole dairy) and two pieces of french toast (fried in lots of butter), a whole egg in each piece, with bacon, every morning for breakfast. She also eats lunch and dinner.

Until recently she had been losing weight and couldn't eat much at one time. Then the doctor gave her a scare and she just decided to really try to eat enough. (Though the doctors can't scare her enough to get her to stop abusing her many pain/blood pressure/etc. meds...)

It's funny, it's like she's a bodybuilder trying to gain mass. I guess it's really not pleasant to have to overeat like that, but you can make yourself do it.

eta: And with respect to pickiness, you just have to give someone that old whatever the hell they damn well please and beef it up however you can.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    coconut milk based home made ice cream, bet he would eat it by the bucket load

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Suggestion: Throw out those goshawful soy-based "nutritional supplements" so beloved of medical personnel. They will destroy both appetite and health. Otherwise, I'm with sjmc's last comment - give 'em what they please and fortify it.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Try a paleo smoothie: 1 raw egg (freshest you can get and wash the shell before cracking), whole banana, 1/2-1 cup coconut milk or cream (whatever %BF he will tolerate), honey if desired, good cocoa or chocolate syrup if desired. Blend until very smooth.

Don't push the berries in a smoothie unless he is OK with the seediness, as this can be off-putting to some, and can get under dentures and really be a pain. You can add mango chunks or fresh/canned peaches for more fruit that goes really smooth in the blender.

When using raw eggs, you need to wash out the blender container very well right after using it to remove all raw egg residue. Don't let it dry on. And don't make it way ahead and keep for more than a day. But raw eggs can be used safely if you are careful.

Emphysema causes his metabolic system to run at an extremely high level, like he's running non-stop, and the struggling for breath makes him have difficulty eating as you need to close your airway off for every swallow and this can be a big problem for those with COPD or emphysema. He need lots of time to eat and probably should avoid dry crumbly foods that shatter in the mouth, like dry crackers or crumbly muffins.

Good luck!

ChilliSquid is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. Will be studying up and giving Dad my most winning smile when I present his food to him.
    chilli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast