Thread: Pro-carb post - am I crazy for being annoyed? page

adamsaysyo is offline Member

Pro-carb post - am I crazy for being annoyed?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. Doing PB for about 3 months now. Its awesome in giving me additional training stamina, and slowly with the weight loss.

I do Crossfit (love it) and Krav Maga (an Israeli martial art), and I do both of the at the Krav Maga Worldwide center here in Los Angeles. They have a new website where they post different blog posts and also the WOD for the next day (a crossfit thing).

Today they posted from a nutritionist about how carbs are so important, and she recommends eating quite a bit of them, but the entire post is just rubbish! So annoyed, but I also don't want to post a rebuttal because... well, i don't want to be seen as a troublemaker - i figure its up to the others to get their information straight. Plus I am not some worked out body yet (muscles added, just waiting for fat to come off)..., and there are a lot of guys there that have amazing bodies who probably intake quite a bit of carbs with great results.

She never even mentions what kind of carbs to eat. The post is here - http://kmwtrainingcenters.com/2010/0...ng-with-carbs/

Seriously makes me mad, especially since I spend so much time at the center and have never heard of this person until this week.

Thoughts? Should I just get over it?

Thanks,
    adam

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Well you can post an anonymous comment on the article so why not do it?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I was always a bit suss about the low-fat high-carb thing, and then I discovered PB/Paleo/low carb ... and then realized just how much bad information is still out there. At this point it's you against the world. Don't let it get to you. Send her a copy of PB?

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Well you can post an anonymous comment on the article so why not do it?
    Try to make it constructive, no matter how tempted you are to flame! If you just flame, people will just sympathize with the idiot.

Vick is online now Senior Member
    I always like to respond comments like heres with summaries of studies. Here is one suggestion you could try.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...against-cardio

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    That's a great article, Vick. They always have the best.

I'd probably try to let it go....but if I couldn't, I'd post some cites with a comment along these lines: "absolutely, the right kinds of carbs are important. thankfully it's easy to get them eating a diet rich in non-starchy veggies and some low sugar fruits, like our paleolithic ancestors would have. No one can argue that. But it's truly beyond my comprehension why anyone would want to waste precious calories eating grains, when calorie for calorie they have so little nutritional value compared to dark and bright produce and high quality animal protein."

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...drZnFmNw&hl=en
    Primal Blueprint and Produce

❑ 3,500 mg potassium (K) is the "Daily Value" (DV) intake per the FDA, NIH,
    ADA etc. Consdering that nutrient intakes from these organizations reflect
    standard intakes, not optimal, consider viewing potassium needs through a
    'primal' lens based on K intakes in traditional diets and what we know of diets
    in environment closer to those in which we adapted.

❑ Potassium intakes in the above 'primal' diets - likely ranges
    based on potassium to sodium ratio
    5mg K:1mg Na to 16mg K: 1mg Na

based on potassium to calorie ratio
    2-4mg K per calorie ingested

❑ 10-13 servings produce will often be required to supply potassium at
    optimal or nearly optimal levels

❑ if needed to bring K:Na ratios or K:Kcal ratios into balance, tomato products
    at each meal or by drinking homemade veggie peeling broths are easy, low
    calorie, high potassium supplements. adding 99mg from a potassium tab
    is essentially worthless when total potassium needs are 3,500-12,000 mg.

Think of magnesium and potassium as the relaxors and calcium and sodium as
    the contractors. We need both - but it's all about ratio just like it is wrt Ω3 and Ω6.

Here's what The Primal Blueprint says about produce:

p40 TPB
    "The gathering of berries and other fruit, leafy greens, primitive roots, shoots and other vegetation, nuts and seeds provide the bulk of Grok's food supply."

p.112 TPB
    "'it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate"

p.111
    "Plant foods..naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity..inyour bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body so it works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar pH levels."

p110 TPB
    see food pyramid: the base is produce indicating that in terms of volume, this is a produce dominated
    diet. His food pyramid is a clear supportive visual to both his writing, and the evidence available
    regarding a primal diet (diet in our environment of evolutionary adaptation). Volume-wise, we're
    eating mostly produce, though in terms of a percentage of calories, we are getting more calories from
    protein and many more from saturated fat even when we don't add much, if any, free fat.

In this blogpost regarding inflammation and gut health, Mark said:

"I mentioned Dr. Art Ayer’s Cooling Inflammation blog last week, and I’m
    to do so again. First, Art suggests adopting an anti-inflammatory diet. His dietary
    recommendations are essentially identical to mine – high SFA, moderate animal
    protein, low O-6, O-3 supplementation, leafy greens, some fruit and nuts."

Vick is online now Senior Member
    Does it make you ask the question what other ratios are critical?

In the past month I've started having avocado in my salads to help get the potasium up.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Does it make you ask the question what other ratios are critical?
    Add tomato to your salad. Tomato tomato tomato. Not only is the K:Na ratio important but the K:Kcal ratio.

Others:

Mg:Ca
    D:A (heavy fish liver and fish liver oil consuming populations have very high fracture and osteoporisis rates....and depression rates. true they tend to have little sun much of the year, but they also have very high circulating A levels in ratio to D levels....they will compete for the same receptor cites. in short: don't take CLO. optimize d levels asap and go from there with A)
    Zn:Cu (grain based diets likely supply to much Cu)
    Se:Hg might be another - though not due to inborn requirements - it appears that Se binds with Hg to keep it from buiding up in the brain. The seychelles child development study indicates more fish consumption is better for developing brains from the fetal period on - perhaps as long as the fish being eaten have higher Se than Hg levels. The study that showed harm was the Faroe Island study - they eat almost exclusively whale meat - which compared to just about anything else, has high high Hg levels in ratio to Se.

Off to a neuroscience conf at Emory or I'd write more.....

Best,
    katherine