Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many nuts are too many?

How many nuts are too many?

Shop Now
    What do most people usually consider "enough" nuts in a day?

Currently, I'm on a Whole30. I don't have any real grab and go snack options that I can easily get, so so far I've been eating a lot of nuts. Probably too many. Any snack-y ideas for when I want something quick and easy to eat? I get all of my meat and veggies, but it's hard to configure prep and all that with a tiny kitchen and 3 burners between 4 people.

How many servings of nuts would you consider too many per day? And what are some good portable options while on the Whole30?

(God, I miss cheese.)

A serving or 2, for me. But it depends on you, really. Are you overweight? Watching your omega-6 intake?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I eat them occasionally, but not daily.

I don't snack. Your goal should be to get out of the "gotta have a snack" mode. Eat bigger meals so you don't need snacks.

I'm not overweight, but I am looking to slim down a little.

Snacking was the wrong word choice. Likewise, I have stopped snacking since going primal. I meant it more in a way of getting some more calories in. Since starting Whole30, I've tracked my intake a couple of days and it's been pretty low. I know people are just going to say "eat more meat and veggies", but again, limited budget, limited kitchen access. I guess what I'm asking is if having a serving or two of nuts a day would be detrimental to my progress.

When I did the whole 30 I was eating 1/2 to a cup of nuts a day. Way too many I think although I still lost weight. I'm really not a huge meat eater so was limited. I have cut back quite a bit now and will tell you my bowel movements were sure nicer when I was eating so many

A serving or two of nuts will not be detrimental to your progress as long as you are taking them into account. Keep in mind that a "serving" of nuts is actually a small quantity. So you need to learn to recognize that amount when you're eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Your goal should be to get out of the "gotta have a snack" mode. Eat bigger meals so you don't need snacks.
    Co-sign.

Definitely "approach with caution" territory. I keep a sack of home-toasted mixed nuts in the freezer and will hand pick 2 of each type (so 8-10 total) on a saucer for dessert sometimes. Using them as a hunger-killer = weight gain for me. If I just want something to occupy my mouth I'll have seltzer, tea, a clementine, a few frozen strawberries, or some carrot sticks or cucumber slices with a little guacamole or tahini.

Are carrots permissible on the W30?
    That's my favorite snack these days.

Yes.
    Janeen

Learn More
    1 nut is too many
    nihil