Thread: Suffering from vertigo & seeking advice page

MaryIM is offline Member

Suffering from vertigo & seeking advice

Primal Fuel
    For the past 3 weeks I've been dealing with vertigo. I've been searching all over the internet, educating myself, and trying free, home-remedies. There are various variations of vertigo and the most prevalent, BPPV, is caused by crystals being dislodged in your inner ear and floating where they don't belong. It's normal to have the crystals in the inner ear, but not normal for them to float around where they don't belong. Most of the home remedies on the internet are designed to encourage the crystals to move back to where they belong.

The problem is most severe when I practice Bikram Yoga (in a room heated to over 100 degrees). I LOVE Bikram yoga and have been practicing it for about 5 years.

At home, as long as I don't make any quick movements (from a supine to a standing position) I am vertigo-free. But all I have to do is enter the hot yoga room and the vertigo returns.

My DR's theory is that the heat in the yoga room causes my ear canals to enlarge -- because the heat causes all our muscles to enlarge and so the crystals have an easier time of floating around where they don't belong.

Anyone out there have any suggestions/advice to offer???
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    The problem also sounds like a low bloodpressure. Have you had that checked?

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I've had BPPV a couple of times now. It will go away, but it can take a little time. When I had it the worst was during the hottest part of the summer, and being outside definitely exacerbated it. A couple of things that helped were increasing my water intake and backing off on the oxalates - each time I've had to deal with it, my diet was reeeeally high in them. Try to slow down any movements of your head, such as looking up, looking down, turning from side to side, etc. It's harder to do than it sounds, but it does help. Driving was especially challenging with all of the necessary head movements - turning to look over my shoulder, looking up to use my rear view mirror, etc. Moving my head up and down was by far the one that set the vertigo off the worst. Some call it "Top Shelf Syndrome", which makes sense - I once fell over after looking up to grab the coffee and then back down to put it on the counter.

I would have definitely tried Epley's maneuver and some of the other "tricks" to coax those crystals out of where they shouldn't be, had I learned of them before I had already started improving. There are YouTube videos which show you how to perform them.

Good luck. Hopefully it won't last too long.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 04-06-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

MaryIM is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    The problem also sounds like a low bloodpressure. Have you had that checked?
    Yes, I have my blood pressed checked every week and it's stable & normal
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html