Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Meat and Veg page 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Both are true:
    • there are foods outside meat/veg
    • there are lots of great ways to prepare meat/veg

There are enough paleo cookbooks and websites to occupy a person until the heat death of the universe so it seems a little daffy to equate the removal of refined ingredients with monotony. I try to picture a medieval king's dinner table and eat like that.

I eat starch every day though it's chosen carefully (mashed plantains with cinnamon, etc.) and may be unfamiliar to someone accustomed to bread and pasta. I eat 1-2 fruit servings per day, mostly as a palate pleaser. I wouldn't try to fill up on it. When I eat nuts I count out 5-10 of them and generally avoid the commercially oil-roasted kinds. Nut flour and nut butter are social/seasonal treats.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Both are true:
    • there are foods outside meat/veg
    • there are lots of great ways to prepare meat/veg

There are enough paleo cookbooks and websites to occupy a person until the heat death of the universe so it seems a little daffy to equate the removal of refined ingredients with monotony. I try to picture a medieval king's dinner table and eat like that.

I eat starch every day though it's chosen carefully (mashed plantains with cinnamon, etc.) and may be unfamiliar to someone accustomed to bread and pasta. I eat 1-2 fruit servings per day, mostly as a palate pleaser. I wouldn't try to fill up on it. When I eat nuts I count out 5-10 of them and generally avoid the commercially oil-roasted kinds. Nut flour and nut butter are social/seasonal treats.
    Can you share the "mashed plantains with cinnamon" recipe?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I eat starch pretty much every day.

There's a lot of variety to meats and vegetables and even a lot of variety to starches. What isn't a lot of variety is when you realize that all your food is mostly bread, cheese, Tomatoes. Or corn, wheat and soy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Can you share the "mashed plantains with cinnamon" recipe?
    I buy them green, chop into ~1 inch segments and boil with the peel for ~25 mins. Then slice the peel and roll them out into a bowl and mash with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tsp cinnamon per plantain. Sometimes a pinch of salt too.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What isn't a lot of variety is ... corn, wheat and soy.
    Exactly! I enjoy wearing my paleo X-ray specs when I browse the aisles in a gas station. 100 different shapes and colors but really only 3-4 core ingredients.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I buy them green, chop into ~1 inch segments and boil with the peel for ~25 mins. Then slice the peel and roll them out into a bowl and mash with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tsp cinnamon per plantain. Sometimes a pinch of salt too.
    Thanks. Never done anything but fry them before.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Thanks. Never done anything but fry them before.
    I would guess he still frys them after that. Dont think eating the raw would be pleasant, i could be wrong though.

A lady friend of mine makes great fried plantains. Its not the plantains though its the garlic dip she makes. I believe its olive oil, lemon juice and mashed garlic mixed. Dip some salted, coconut fried plantains in that, yum.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I eat whatever the hell I want. 85% of the time that's primal in the form of meat/fat/veggies (including rice and potatoes). People get so wrapped up in the dogma they fail to realize that making better decisions is more important than making the perfect decision. When people first convert, they feel any deviation from what grok did translates to failure. Life's too fuckin' short. Eat whole foods, avoid processed grains and refined oils. That's it.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    they feel any deviation from what grok did translates to failure.
    I think this happens with all food plans. The women in my family did pretty much every magazine diet through the 80s-90s and the first cheat always caused sobbing psychodrama. They would vacillate between "diet" cardboard and straight-up cardboard for months at a time. Primal is better since it tends to prevent frank deficiency, but I still see that all-or-nothing attitude of "i can't taste grandma's shortcake or it'll trigger a 3-month frenzy".

"The wind does not break a tree that bends" and all that

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Whether you use factory or grass-fed/wild, organic or conventional produce, even if it were true that all we eat are meat and veggies, there are tons of meat and veggie combinations:

Animals (as in anything not a vegetable) just off the top of my head that are available in all but the smallest of towns:

Beef/veal
    Chicken
    Pork
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Sardines
    Eggs
    Squid
    Cod
    Oysters
    Liver - even in smaller areas, chicken and beef liver are usually available.

Using any of those as a main dish paired with so many veggies available that no off the top of my head list could even make a dent, the combinations are many. Add a little rice/potato/sweet potato once in awhile to stretch a more expensive cut. Make stews and hearty soups. Casseroles. Experiment with some spices. Curries are pretty easy to make as are stir fries. Learn about squashes and roots.

If you want to splurge occasionally on things not sold locally, almost anything can be found online. It might be expensive, but realize that folks aren't lining up around the block for kangaroo tail (at least not in the U.S.).

So, beyond meat and veggies are meat and veggies - combined in ways that make them interesting. Play with your food!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    So, beyond meat and veggies are meat and veggies - combined in ways that make them interesting.
    Brilliant.

There are also many obscure meats/vegis depending on your location if you get really bored. Octopus, liver, chicken feet, bone marrow, pigs feet, snails, bugs, duck tongue, duck head, duck hearts, pigeon, jelly fish, intestine, stomach, honey bees, sea worms, pig tail, ox tail, ox penis, fertilized duck egg, snake, monkey brain, donkey, dog...just to name some of the meat items.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast