Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allergic to nuts: What kind of Flour is OK? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You will be disappointed if you think any paleo-type flour substitutes will produce a bread that would fool anyone expecting something like wheat bread.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I was going to say tapioca and potato as well.

we make pancakes out of potatoes or sweet potatoes, so. Yeah. I don't use flour. I roast the potatoes, then get the goodness, then mix it with eggs and arrowroot powder, and then fry up.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I was going to say tapioca and potato as well.

we make pancakes out of potatoes or sweet potatoes, so. Yeah. I don't use flour. I roast the potatoes, then get the goodness, then mix it with eggs and arrowroot powder, and then fry up.
    Dude, that's genius. Gotta try that!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I've baked brownies and other cakes with rice flour before, with great success. It gives my baked goods a bit of a chewiness but the resulting cake is quite light. I would think rice flour works better for baking that doesn't require much leaveners though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You will be disappointed if you think any paleo-type flour substitutes will produce a bread that would fool anyone expecting something like wheat bread.
    I would have to agree with this. You can get a pretty good muffin/quick bread texture with alternative flours, but I have yet to find a pizza crust, pasta or leavened-type bread recipe that comes close to what wheat flour will give you. Some of them are quite tasty in their own right, but they're not very impressive as substitutions. Gluten has amazing biochemical properties. Too bad they come with a trade off.

I think if you're happy with Udi's and it's not a regular thing, it's probably not worth it to spend time on disappointing experiments.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

Yeah, Udis is about the only non-disgusting tasting gluten free bread I have found. So I buy that. I ask about flour mainly for baked goods, and I have some success with rice flour for desserts (coconut flour too, but I usually mix in some rice flour). Glad to hear rice is okay. It's not as though I have a slice of cake every day

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    As far as dessert-type baked goods are concerned, I normally keep a blend of 4 parts white rice flour:1 part sweet rice flour. I usually sub it. I don't use xanthan gum, so sometimes the result is more crumbly than it would be. But better than inconvenient digestive issues the additive gives me.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Thank you.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    No its not a crime to want a decadent dessert once in a while. Indulge! But make it the best damn dessert possible, not some dessert substitute. A paleo cupcake is still a cupcake, except its not the cupcake my taste buds are looking for. And just because the ingredients are "all paleo" doesn't make it an everyday food.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12