Thread: Beef Kidney - how to eat it? page

Wulf is offline Senior Member

Beef Kidney - how to eat it?

Primal Fuel
    My local store has beef kidney at a low price. Does anyone have some recipes for it? I've never had it and don't know where to begin with it.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I cut it into bite-sized pieces, soak in water for an hour or so, then saute in butter.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Does it taste like it smells? I give it to my pets regularly as their on a raw diet so I'm very familiar with the fact that kidneys smell like pee. I guess the soaking takes the smell away?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It does have a strong flavor. My mother used to make it into steak and kidney pie. I think I'm the only one I know who eats it.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Slicing and soaking in milk reduces the pee smell a lot. I've also read that to roll the slices in baking powder then soak in salted water for an hour will remove the smell but I haven't tried that as milk works fine for me.

Do you like soup? A Filipino lady I knew years ago used to make a soup of chicken broth, with finely sliced shallots cooked in it, slices of grilled and skinned red peppers and when they were softened, she added sliced soaked kidneys which were simmered until just cooked, then she tipped in loads of chopped coriander (cilantro) and grated lime rind. It was awesome....