Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged-Big family on small budget page 4

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Wowza. You haven't even tried it yet and that is a big boatload of excuses! Yup you've got a lot of kids and a busy life. But you're only cooking ONCE...not 7 separate meals for 7 people. Yes your budget is bigger -- but your cooking prep, planning, shopping and cleanup are virtually the same as anyone cooking for a family with kids. Fact is...this is what real food costs.

My suggestions are going to apply whether you're cooking primal or not:

Trying to do ANYTHING on a serious budget is difficult. We are a 1.5 income family of 4 living in the most expensive part of Canada. You prioritize, sacrifice and make it work. And you live your own life and don't compare yourself to how you see others live.

Stick with what you know, and what you know your family likes. Keep it simple and basic. Meat, veg, starch. There is no reason to try new recipes more than once a month if you dont' want to.

I don't buy this. Feeding your family is a priority. With a little planning, cooking doesn't have to take much time at all. 10 min to put a whole chicken or a roast in the oven with some baked potatoes. You can do laundry during the hour that its all cooking. Half your kids are old enough to assemble a salad or pour frozen veggies into a pot.

Primal is not about ready made. There, you're already saving money. The only 'ready made' you should be eating is the TRIPLE batch of whatever dish you made last week and put in the freezer.

Too bad. Variety is a luxury you clearly cannot afford. If you make a dish they like, they'll be happy to eat it twice in a week. We're having leftover meatloaf tonight and nobody better say a word. (they begged me for butter chicken 2 days in a row)

If by 'variety' you mean they're a bunch of picky-pants who want you to be a short order cook, too bad on that too.

PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN. Take 3 meals worth of meat out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost. ALWAYS have meat defrosting, and force yourself to cook with what you have on hand. I always have ground beef in the defrost rotation, and my family will happily eat burgers any/every day of the week. (they eat buns, I don't.)

That's precisely what leftovers are for!

If you want leftovers for planned meals, you have to separate them out before the family gets ahold of them.

Now is a great opportunity to stop buying crap

1. plan plan plan
    2. defrost defrost defrost
    3. ease into primal gradually, one change a time.
    4. let go of perfection. Nobody here does Primal perfectly.
    5. Shop the sales, stock the freezer.
    6. Buy meat by the whole or half animal. Its wayyyy cheaper.
    7. Have you read the book?
    Such an amazing post!! We all have 24 hours in a day in which to get everything done! We're all busy, we all have tons of stuff going on in our lives, we all have to find ways to make eating healthy high quality food a priority. Choosing to have ten million kids doesn't make anyone special. You're not busier than anyone else. You just have to spend your time differently than someone who's made other choices.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Space View Post
    Hello. I'm still learning about this lifestyle at the moment too. I am curious as to why you're promoting white rice and rice pasta? I thought those are frowned on for the high phytic acid, and very high glycemic index. From what I've read, potatoes are better to choose than rice. Also, I like that you mentioned "properly soaked beans". I was freaked out when I read that legumes are "bad", because I love beans and lentils etc. Then, I found some studies showing something like a three-fold reduction of phytic acid after 24 hour soaking. (also adding some vinegar to soaking water assists in the break down)
    Because not everyone here is a militant food purist, and you have to consider your budget and food tolerances and decide on a "good, better, best" scale, what foods you're willing to allow or insist on eliminating.

I will give up beans (pre-soaked or not) before giving up potatoes.

People avoid starchy veggies when they're trying to lose fat because of the carbs, not because they're "bad" foods. If you're not "on a diet" there's nothing wrong with potatoes.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemart View Post
    Don't toss your processed staples. Keep those for an emergency supply of at least 3 days of food. Everyone should have that as a minimum!
    Yes, this. And an 'emergency' can be when momma is down for 3 days from the flu. Teach your older kids how to make scrambled eggs and open a can of tuna.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

beaubutterfly is offline Member
    I am a mother of 5 too, and I have a partner. Family of 7! i have only just started and I live in Australia, where everyone tells me lately is a very expensive place to live!

I have started on this way of life just for myself so far. My two eldest daughters are vegetarian and my partner doesn't like to eat too much meat, as we were pretty much vegetarian for 6 years. If they see the cnanges in me and want to join in, then I shall be completely into that, but for now, I am doing this as a health change for myself.

i think it is important to keep it simple, and don't discount it, or say it can't be done or is too hard to be done until you have actually tried it.

I have been eating Primal for around 3 weeks now and I am cooking 3 different versions of the same meal for the whole family. Example : Spaghetti Bolognaise, I will make the mince sauce, and a vegetarian sauce, I will make pasta for them all, and zucchini 'pasta' for me. Its quite simple really. Chicken soup, I will make the vegies first and take out some for the vegos, then add the chicken.

Its just about adapting really. And this is for my own health and wellbeing, and hopefully, my daughters will watch and learn (as we know kids do...they don't learn by us telling, they learn by watching us).

Keep positive and just do your best

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For emergency meals when no defrosted things are on hand, or, like in my case you found out that a fish went bad in the freezer after cooking it, I wanted to add that 2 things that I found that goes from frozen in the chest freezer to a meal in <30 min are shrimps (not sure if it's on your budget, I buy mine in big bags for ~ 6$ a pound), filled white fish (can be made into a soup or dipped in egg whites and coconut and fried) and fresh sausages (like bratwurst). Sausages and fish take ~ 10 min plunge in cold water filled sink and then can be cut into small pieces and fried-braised with veggies and fruit of choice. A
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Just be glad you are in North America, cooking paleo in Seoul is expensive as f@#$.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Primal rigid? Red wine? Dark chocolate? Bacon? White rice and potatoes? The oft repeated don't let perfection get in the way of good. And most of all: 80/20 - a license to eat anything you want, one calorie out of five.

Eat plenty of animals, plants, and bugs. Avoid poisons. That is rigid. But only if you think foods that come with a hundred ingredients and are all wrapped up in pretty packaging should be the mainstay of one's diet.
    The 80/20 rule has been said that it's not to eat 20% of anything you want, it's to aim for 100% and allow 20% for things like unknown oils and soy sauce now and then. Mark has never said the PB 20% is for anything you want. And white rice and potatoes? Again, Mark has never said everybody should eat these freely; he has blogged about them several times with caveats about eating them if you are very active, no weight to lose, etc. He would never say the Primal Blueprint allows for everyone to eat as much fruit and potatoes as they like -- that's rigid! Why do you think there's so much carb debate on these forums? Because Mark's carb curve and food recommendations are tight. I don't want one square of chocolate after meat and veggies; I want to eat freely without regards to arbitrary carb grams and activity level/body fat level. The Perfect Health Diet and Ray Peat protocols aren't nearly as limiting as Primal.

I didn't say anything about things that come in packages. Anything that limits fruit and starch is rigid in my book and why I reject the Primal food pyramid and recommendations.

"Don’t take this as blanket approval for immediate regular rice consumption, however." - Mark Sisson
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    to some change can seem intimidating and next to impossible. so it's up to you if you can commit.

while i don't have a gaggle of kids, i do work plenty of 15+ hours days, so batch-cook on my days off. braises and stews take some chopping and then i am hands-off for hours. plus those meats are very cheap. do you haved a slow-cooker? many swear by them.

when i make meatballs, i make several pounds at a time and freeze them.

SOUP!! keep veg ends and trimmings in the freezer. bits of left-over meat too.

BROTH!! soup bones insanely cheap and this is a multi-vitamin in a bowl.

crustless quiches, made with 12 eggs, butter and veggies feed me all week. i cut one into 8 portions. make several of those, portion and freeze, and you have a bunch of meals for everybody. eggs are krazee cheap, versatile and an almost perfect food. i keep a week's worth of sauteed mushrooms and peppers in the fridge for a quick meal.

if you're not confident or overly skilled in the kitchen, keep it simple. this saves time and money.

if you are feeding a family of 7 and don't already have meat defrosting for tomorrow's meal, i am wondering if you may need more organizational help than other skills?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post

Anything that limits fruit and starch is rigid in my book and why I reject the Primal food pyramid and recommendations.
    i'm sorry? why are you here again?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i'm sorry? why are you here again?
    Since when is PB only about food? I'm here for the same reason Mark Sisson wrote the foreword in PHD's latest book: I can mix and mingle about health and science without committing to a particular food plan that I don't find right for me. I can like a lot of other things about Primal besides its food pyramid.

You sound like one of those people who say, "America: love it or leave it!" for not agreeing with all of its policies. Come on. there's more than one reason to participate in Primal chat.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast