Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged-Big family on small budget page 3

Omni is offline Senior Member
    All seeds are bad, technically speaking, that includes nuts and legumes as well, rice seems to be the best of all the grains.
    Pre soaking and rinsing improves the nutrient profile and is easy to incorporate in meal preparation, an overnight soak will also reduce cooking time quite a bit. If you look into traditional food preparation in many cultures, you will also find that rice too is usually soaked by most cultures prior to cooking.
    If you do include rice, legumes etc, and I do, ensure that they do not become staples in your diet, that is probably the biggest problem with wheat consumption, yes there are many negative factors with wheat, but the volumes consumed magnify the issue, so as the rule says "Variety is the Essence of Life".

Lucid Space is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    All seeds are bad, technically speaking, that includes nuts and legumes as well, rice seems to be the best of all the grains.
    I beg to differ on the use of "all". Also, nuts are very healthy aren't they? A good source of healthy fats. Walnuts, almonds, and cashews are very good for us. (obviously not for those with allergies! :P )

I agree with you about variety. Too much inclusiveness, is just as bad as too much exclusivity. Would you say that your diet is more Mediterranean then? I'm pondering which is better to follow.
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Nuts contain the same types of antinutrients as other seeds, it is merely the fact that they are seeds and contain all the complex proteins required for the protection of the seed so that it can go on to germinate and become a plant, but as a general rule the bigger the seed the less damaging it is, so yes nuts are fine and nutritious as snacks, but if you make them staples by using them as substitutes for milk, flour etc. then the volumes consumed can invite problems.

As for me I am mostly Paleo, I don't do dairy or grains except for a bit of rice sometimes, I do include some legumes in stews, but they would only amount to maybe 10-20% maximum of the volume in a pot, I don't think I would classify my diet as mediterranian, particularly as the region is so diverse and it is hard to nail down one specific mediterranian diet.
    My non Paleo foods would be no more than 20% and most of that is consumed in social settings when going out, so I still qualify as fully Primal.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marnieknox View Post
    Ok great, this all sounds great. But I am so discouraged....Ugh! I hate the way I sound right now. What a complainer!! Please some busy Momma out there that is pulling it off share your secrets!!
    Wowza. You haven't even tried it yet and that is a big boatload of excuses! Yup you've got a lot of kids and a busy life. But you're only cooking ONCE...not 7 separate meals for 7 people. Yes your budget is bigger -- but your cooking prep, planning, shopping and cleanup are virtually the same as anyone cooking for a family with kids. Fact is...this is what real food costs.

My suggestions are going to apply whether you're cooking primal or not:

To try to do this on a serious budget is very difficult.
    Trying to do ANYTHING on a serious budget is difficult. We are a 1.5 income family of 4 living in the most expensive part of Canada. You prioritize, sacrifice and make it work. And you live your own life and don't compare yourself to how you see others live.

You may say, "Oh well there are many things you can make yourself." Great and I try that, but when I try to make things sometimes they don't turn out. Then what is my family supposed to eat?
    Stick with what you know, and what you know your family likes. Keep it simple and basic. Meat, veg, starch. There is no reason to try new recipes more than once a month if you dont' want to.

"Whipping something up" is not really possible. I have a family of seven. The kids are 9, 7, 4, and 2 year old twins. I do not have a lot of extra time since I do a lot of other things to save us money as well like hanging our laundry for example.
    I don't buy this. Feeding your family is a priority. With a little planning, cooking doesn't have to take much time at all. 10 min to put a whole chicken or a roast in the oven with some baked potatoes. You can do laundry during the hour that its all cooking. Half your kids are old enough to assemble a salad or pour frozen veggies into a pot.

The ready made stuff is all so pricey I just can't afford it.
    Primal is not about ready made. There, you're already saving money. The only 'ready made' you should be eating is the TRIPLE batch of whatever dish you made last week and put in the freezer.

I guess the biggest thing is our family likes variety.
    Too bad. Variety is a luxury you clearly cannot afford. If you make a dish they like, they'll be happy to eat it twice in a week. We're having leftover meatloaf tonight and nobody better say a word. (they begged me for butter chicken 2 days in a row)

If by 'variety' you mean they're a bunch of picky-pants who want you to be a short order cook, too bad on that too.

Also, I do a big grocery since we are not in town and meat gets frozen so if dinner doesn't work out I can't just throw some chicken on the barby cause they are frozen solid.
    PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN. Take 3 meals worth of meat out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost. ALWAYS have meat defrosting, and force yourself to cook with what you have on hand. I always have ground beef in the defrost rotation, and my family will happily eat burgers any/every day of the week. (they eat buns, I don't.)

Leftovers don't happen very often and when they do they get taken for lunch.
    That's precisely what leftovers are for!

If you want leftovers for planned meals, you have to separate them out before the family gets ahold of them.
    I just got over the flu that left me not eating for 2 days. Great opportunity to start with a clean system! But I hadn't gotten to do groceries so there was nothing in the house but crap.
    Now is a great opportunity to stop buying crap

Please some busy Momma out there that is pulling it off share your secrets!
    1. plan plan plan
    2. defrost defrost defrost
    3. ease into primal gradually, one change a time.
    4. let go of perfection. Nobody here does Primal perfectly.
    5. Shop the sales, stock the freezer.
    6. Buy meat by the whole or half animal. Its wayyyy cheaper.
    7. Have you read the book?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

firemart is offline Member
    Don't toss your processed staples. Keep those for an emergency supply of at least 3 days of food. Everyone should have that as a minimum!

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Just found this today for free, Going Paleo Without Going Broke ebook. Not read it but might have some usefull suggestions.

Going Paleo Without Going Broke: Paleo Lifestyle Magazine: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Space View Post
    Hello. I'm still learning about this lifestyle at the moment too. I am curious as to why you're promoting white rice and rice pasta? I thought those are frowned on for the high phytic acid, and very high glycemic index. From what I've read, potatoes are better to choose than rice. Also, I like that you mentioned "properly soaked beans". I was freaked out when I read that legumes are "bad", because I love beans and lentils etc. Then, I found some studies showing something like a three-fold reduction of phytic acid after 24 hour soaking. (also adding some vinegar to soaking water assists in the break down)
    I think Primal is one of the more rigid dietary Paleo/ancestral protocols out there. I side more with Ray Peat, Perfect Health Diet, and WAPF styles of eating and preparation. The Primal food pyramid is too limited for me; I'd rather avoid nuts and tons of vegetables and excess fats than potatoes and fruit to meet some arbitrary carb range.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal rigid? Red wine? Dark chocolate? Bacon? White rice and potatoes? The oft repeated don't let perfection get in the way of good. And most of all: 80/20 - a license to eat anything you want, one calorie out of five.

Eat plenty of animals, plants, and bugs. Avoid poisons. That is rigid. But only if you think foods that come with a hundred ingredients and are all wrapped up in pretty packaging should be the mainstay of one's diet.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You've been given many good ideas, so try to ignore some of the put downs sprinkled throughout here. You may want to take more of a gradual approach to Primal.
    1. Stop buying/eating packaged foods. I know this will often mean an increase in your budget (we could get cereal and pasta for cheap), but you will find with time that you need less food because appetites regulate better without wheat and the other hidden ingredients.
    2. Plant a garden. Great experience for the kids and then you know what is in your food.
    3. Make your own cleaning products. Cheap and so much healthier than convential items!
    4. As budget allows, phase in other organic options or grass fed meat.

We are phasing in the grass fed and organic now (I have 2 kids plus DH). It's definitely more expensive. But I have found my appetite has decreased tremendously and I have so much more energy now! My kids love to help in the kitchen as well, or they sit and color or do "school work" (oldest will be 5 next week) while I prepare the meal. I love my crockpot and use it often to cook while we head to the park in the afternoons.

You can do it!

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I completely understand what you're going through. This way of eating can take a bit more time, but if you stick to quick and simple meals, it's not that bad. You don't have to eat all grass-fed and organic. Try to come up with a few standard breakfast menus, lunch should be leftovers and dinner is where your variety is at just make sure to cook enough for leftovers the next day. As far as cooking new recipes for dinner, start with simple things like crockpot meals, baked chicken, meatloaf, meatballs and bunless burgers. As your confidence grows, that is when the menu can expand.

I've found that adults seem to eat about 1 pound of meat each day split between breakfast, lunch and dinner if they're only eating meat and vegetables. This can be expensive so subsidizing some of the meat with primal friendly starches like sweet potatoes, white potatoes and white rice can cut back on the meat budget. Also, looking for deals on big items that have relatively straight forward preparation like whole chickens, turkeys and hams can help stretch the meat budget. For turkeys and whole chickens don't go with traditional cuts such as breasts, legs and thighs when serving. Instead, shred every bit of meat off of the bird and serve the shredded meat. This way you'll eat every ounce of meat off of that bird! And you should find that it goes a lot farther this way. You could even use the shredded meat in casseroles combined with your starches and veg to make it go even farther.

It seems like vegetables are much easier to budget for since whatever is in season tends to be on sale. You should find that your vegetable budget can be half of your meat budget while still providing ample food.

I find it easiest to split the budget up - 1 for meat and 1 for veggies. If I know that I only have say $55 to spend on meat and $30 to spend on veggies and I know about how many pounds of meat that I'll need, budgeting becomes much easier.

Hang in there! It does get easier and budgeting and cooking becomes routine.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast