Thread: Help Understanding what happens to dietary fat? page

BuckleyFan1043 is offline Junior Member

Help Understanding what happens to dietary fat?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys!

Still new to everything here, but love what I'm seeing so far. I also just watched the 'Sugar: the bitter truth' lecture and my mind was totally blown. It totally makes sense why fructose can lead to obesity by new fat production.

However, this is probably a really basic question, but just because a high-fructose diet DOES lead to metabolic syndrome does not necessarily mean that a high-FAT diet DOES NOT lead to the same thing. I'm no scientist, believe me, so I'm sure there is an explanation, I just don't know it. It just seems that if the concern about fructose is that it leads to new fat production - why does just EATING more fat solve that issue? Isn't that just like skipping the fructose step and plunging straight to fat?

So basically, for pale/primal "high-fat intake" to work, there must be something different about that dietary fat than the fat produced by de novo lipogenesis which happens when fructose is consumes. So my question is, what happens to that dietary fat that you take in that prevents it from being stored and contributing to weight gain?

I hope that's not a stupid question, and I hope I was clear enough!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    If you eat fat, it goes straight to your fat cells.

Think about that for a second.

How on earth does that make sense? It's not like the molecules are going straight to your stomach/fat area of the body (hips, butt, thighs etc.). That's not how bodies function.

Watch the free documentary Fat Head. It should explain a lot.

And of course, this all may not be true for every single person on the planet. Some people really do thrive on higher fructose diets, while others gain fat.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 04-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Timthetaco Guest
    The first diagram on this page should answer your question. Lipid digestion and absorption

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Fat makes your eyes bright and your coat shiny.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleyFan1043 View Post
    However, this is probably a really basic question, but just because a high-fructose diet DOES lead to metabolic syndrome does not necessarily mean that a high-FAT diet DOES NOT lead to the same thing.
    One factor people bring up; a high fat meal blunts the insulin response. So if Americans eat 20% of their calories per day from sugar, yeah that's toxic and not good, but in theory eating a high fat meal with that could chill out the negative response from your body, but instead they eat a high carb meal, which just makes it worse. That's one way fat could HELP, but it's all a bit silly since we know they should just stop eating the sugar.

If we zoom way out we know primitive tribes always ate as much fat as they could find, fat & protein, and they didn't have metabolic syndrome. So clearly fat in the absence of processed food (sugar/flour) doesn't lead to metabolic syndrome.

So really just don't eat sugar.

This link to a multi-part video by Dr. Lustig is pretty good too, it's a slick production and dumbed down for the masses, but he's correct: The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 1): An Epidemic for Every Body - YouTube