Thread: Primal and thyroid problems page

PseudoDiva is offline Junior Member

Primal and thyroid problems

Anyone out there with thyroid issues? I've been on Nature Throid for 3 months. My T4 was normal (but low normal) and my T3 was very low. I still haven't managed to lose any weight, but the depression and debilitating fatigue are starting to fade.

I would love to hear other experiences.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, but before Primal. Used to be on regular Synthroid, then tried the dessicated erfa and now am on T3 only. To get the best results and the best outcome I have been working with a Naturopath. Still in the process of upping my dose to be optimal.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Silvergirl, how long does this typically take?

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I'm on Nature-throid and when my problems were first discovered I had to slowly increase my dose over about a year and a half until my body had completely destroyed my thyroid. I've been on the same dose for years now that there is nothing left for my body to attack.

Destroyed your thyroid? That doesn't sound good. Can you tell me more? I'm working with a naturopath as well. I am up to 1 grain a day now. I started at .25 and kept increasing.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your thyroid. It's a rocky road at first, and eventually you stabilize and if you are on the good pills everything is almost normal.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I've been hypothyroid for 12+ years- under medicated for many of those years. Presently taking a T4 med and a T3 med.

My suggestion is to educate yourself so that you can be your own best advocate. The forum and the very knowledgeable people at About.com Thyroid Disease Forum helped me tremendously.

Some of the things I've lived over the years:
    1. Healing after a hypothyroid diagnosis takes time. Expecting weight loss without allowing time for healing is an exercise in futility
    2.Thyroid hormones (free T4, free T3) need to be optimal for the individual. A good starting point, for many people, is having both FT4 and FT3 at midpoint of their respective range. After that, tweak very slowly until well being is achieved.Symptoms can lag behind blood results, so after getting to midrange, tweak meds no sooner than every 6-8 weeks
    3. Well being may need the following issues to be optimized:
    a. Vitamin D level
    b. Ferritin level
    c. calorie level and carb level-- Too few calorie, or to few carbs, MAY inhibit T4 to T3 conversion
    d. getting adequate selenium 200 mcg/day

Some people do great on T4/T3 combo meds like Armour or Naturethyroid.Some find the ratio of T4/T3 too high.Others do well on a T4 med alone or with a T4 med plus T3 med.

Determining if you have good conversion is is your first step after diagnosis.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I think I started seeing the naturopath around October. I have seen him every two weeks since, and he has changed either dosage or meds. every time. For the first time next Wed. he may keep me the same or up me one more time. . I still think
    I will have to see him pretty regularly though. T3 only isn't for everyone.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I've been hypothyroid for 12+ years- under medicated for many of those years. Presently taking a T4 med and a T3 med.

My suggestion is to educate yourself so that you can be your own best advocate. The forum and the very knowledgeable people at About.com Thyroid Disease Forum helped me tremendously.

Some of the things I've lived over the years:
    1. Healing after a hypothyroid diagnosis takes time. Expecting weight loss without allowing time for healing is an exercise in futility
    2.Thyroid hormones (free T4, free T3) need to be optimal for the individual. A good starting point, for many people, is having both FT4 and FT3 at midpoint of their respective range. After that, tweak very slowly until well being is achieved.Symptoms can lag behind blood results, so after getting to midrange, tweak meds no sooner than every 6-8 weeks
    3. Well being may need the following issues to be optimized:
    a. Vitamin D level
    b. Ferritin level
    c. calorie level and carb level-- Too few calorie, or to few carbs, MAY inhibit T4 to T3 conversion
    d. getting adequate selenium 200 mcg/day

Some people do great on T4/T3 combo meds like Armour or Naturethyroid.Some find the ratio of T4/T3 too high.Others do well on a T4 med alone or with a T4 med plus T3 med.

Determining if you have good conversion is is your first step after diagnosis.
    Thank you for this. I'm learning that this will be a long road. I'm feeling better, so I guess that's made me impatient for results.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I take carbs, iodine and selenium for thyroid health.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right