Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books You Learned the Most From? page

BuckleyFan1043 is offline Junior Member

Books You Learned the Most From?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone!

Very new to Primal living and just have been loving diving into it. I know that Mark has made a few posts over the years about books to read and whatnot, but I wanted to turn to the community and ask what books have you read that you have found the most interesting on the topic of health?

I just started Good Calories Bad Calories, and am loving it so far. I have been able to find an endless number of blogs to keep up with, but I haven't been able to really find a ton of books on my own. So generally, I am looking for any books outside of the primal blueprint series (read em and love love love em) that have added your understanding of how to live a healthier, more fulfilling life. That can concern diet, exercise, general lifestyle, or anything else!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to see the suggestions.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    If you like Good Calories Bad Calories, you'd probably really like one of Gary Taubes' other books, Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It. It's a bit more user friendly and has a ton of great information.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

IronGirl is offline Member
    I absolutely loved Taubes' Why We Get Fat. I liked it better than GCBC.
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    This should keep you busy for a while. I guarantee you’ll learn something…

Against The Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization - Richard Manning
    Everyday Paleo: Embracing a Natural Diet & Lifestyle to Increase Your Family's Health, Fitness, and Longevity - Sarah Fragoso
    Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories From the Local Food Front - Joel Salatin
    Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal - Eric Schlosser
    Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual - Michael Pollan
    Food, Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer-And What You Can Do About It - multiple authors
    Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health - Gary Taubes
    Holy Cows And Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer’s Guide To Farm Friendly Food - Joel Salatin
    In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto - Michael Pollan
    It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways - Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig
    Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival - TS Wiley & Bent Formby
    Pandora’s Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization - Spencer Wells
    Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat - Paul Jaminet & Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet
    Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carb Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health—in Just Weeks! - Michael R. Eades, MD & Mary Dan Eades, MD
    The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s-Eye View of the World - Michael Pollan
    The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - Michael Pollan
    The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young - Loren Cordain
    The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health - Jason Seib
    The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet - Robb Wolf
    The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy - Mark Sisson
    The Primal Connection: Revive Your Genetic Blueprint, Reclaim Your Health, and Rediscover Peace - Mark Sisson
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability - Lierre Keith
    Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health - William Davis, MD
    Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes
    Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 04-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

BuckleyFan1043 is offline Junior Member
    These are great! Thanks for the responses - I'll dive right in....and any other suggestions always welcome!

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    If you like documentary movies, check these out:

Farmageddon
    Fat Head
    Food, Inc.
    Foodmatters
    Hungry For Change
    In Search of the Perfect Human Diet
    Ingredients
    Killer at Large
    King Corn
    The Botany of Desire
    The Future of Food
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    If you have already read Good Calories/Bad Calories. I don't see much reason to also read Why We Get Fat, as others have suggested. They are virtually the same book. The only difference is that WWGF is aimed at the general reader while GCBC is far more in depth and technical.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Co-sign Perfect Health Diet. Full of truth bombs with no infomercial-y delivery.

Paleobird Guest
    While not strictly a diet/fitness book (it's actually fiction), I feel that The Gnoll Credo by J. Stanton is a great book about what it means to have a Primal mindset.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast