Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books You Learned the Most From? page 2

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mr Koozie's list is pretty comprehensive. I second the Michael Pollan recommendations - I just love the way he writes. Robb Wolf's way with words is good too - he makes the science very accessible.

Reading Schlosser at the moment. Wow. Just wow.

I hope you have a good local library which may have many of these books, or be prepared to stock them on your request. My local library has been a goldmine for these kinds of materials; they have purchased everything I have recommended (such as Gedgaudas, Wolf, Davis, Jaminet) and there are clearly a lot of other like-minded Primal enthusiast where I live because these books are always in demand.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Co-sign Perfect Health Diet. Full of truth bombs with no infomercial-y delivery.
    Totally agree. Perfect Health Diet is the best book on nutriton that I have read. Also I just purchased the video "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet" which is quite good.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Mr Koozie's list is pretty comprehensive. I second the Michael Pollan recommendations - I just love the way he writes. Robb Wolf's way with words is good too - he makes the science very accessible.

Reading Schlosser at the moment. Wow. Just wow.

I hope you have a good local library which may have many of these books, or be prepared to stock them on your request. My local library has been a goldmine for these kinds of materials; they have purchased everything I have recommended (such as Gedgaudas, Wolf, Davis, Jaminet) and there are clearly a lot of other like-minded Primal enthusiast where I live because these books are always in demand.
    My library too. They buy everything that I request. Thanks to me my local library is turning into Paleo Central. What's cool is that these books that I recommended are usually checked out. I'm still waiting for them to get the DVD for In Search of the Perfect Human Diet.

I put the Pollan books in there because I've read them all and his books were my introduction to health and nutrition years ago. I read Pollan long before I ever discovered Sisson, Wolf, Cordain, etc. And I like Pollan's writing style.
    Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 04-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    While not strictly a diet/fitness book (it's actually fiction), I feel that The Gnoll Credo by J. Stanton is a great book about what it means to have a Primal mindset.
    All I know about J. Stanton is that he wrote this wonderful piece.
    It sums up paleo so well! I've been using it as my go-to guide for staying on track.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    All I know about J. Stanton is that he wrote this wonderful piece.
    It sums up paleo so well! I've been using it as my go-to guide for staying on track.
    Indeed. That "Eat like a predator, not like prey", article was one of the first things I read where all the bits and pieces of Primal sort of gelled into one comprehensive whole.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Love the suggestions so far. A few to add that you may also enjoy (I did):

"Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat" by Deborah Krasner
    "The Butcher's Guide to Well-Raised Meat" By Applestone, Applestone and Zissu

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Totally agree. Perfect Health Diet is the best book on nutriton that I have read. Also I just purchased the video "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet" which is quite good.
    +1. Just everything in The Perfect Health Diet is correct.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Dickson is online now Senior Member
    It doesn't get much love around here, but The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler is probably tied for me with the PB as the best book on diet and health in general (although I don't like the exercise recommendations). People who think the Warrior Diet is a few hundred pages of talking about a 20 hour fast are like those who think the Primal Blueprint is just Atkins 3.0. It's not a scientific reference book and Ori gets knocked for some of his claims, but the information on estrogenic compounds and testosterone enhancement is worth the price of the book alone. And like Mark recommends, try it and see for yourself-- if it doesn't work you can just laugh at Ori's recommendations.

It is such a comprehensive book, and I loved even some of the obscure things about it, like Ori's opinions on romanticism and the "warrior lifestyle". It has changed me as much as anything else I have ever read.

It shouldn’t matter that it doesn’t get much love around here if it is working for you. Robb Wolf likes to say that if you are able to find something that works for you, you ride that wagon until the wheels fall off. Sound advice. Strict paleo works the best for me, and that’s not exactly primal. If someone were a vegan and it actually worked great for them I’d be okay with that. Kudos to you Dickson if the Warrior Diet works for you. Stick with it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    It doesn't get much love around here, but The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler is probably tied for me with the PB as the best book on diet and health in general (although I don't like the exercise recommendations). People who think the Warrior Diet is a few hundred pages of talking about a 20 hour fast are like those who think the Primal Blueprint is just Atkins 3.0. It's not a scientific reference book and Ori gets knocked for some of his claims, but the information on estrogenic compounds and testosterone enhancement is worth the price of the book alone. And like Mark recommends, try it and see for yourself-- if it doesn't work you can just laugh at Ori's recommendations.

It is such a comprehensive book, and I loved even some of the obscure things about it, like Ori's opinions on romanticism and the "warrior lifestyle". It has changed me as much as anything else I have ever read.
    I do the warrior diet. I tried doing it once before going Primal and it didn't work. Just led to overstuffing during the one mealtime. But, since i have been ketogenic, I have drifted back to it naturally. This time it doesn't feel forced as in, "What time is ti? Can I eat yet?" It just doesn't occur to me to eat more than once a day.

I've never read the whole book but I would like to. Do you happen to know if it is out on Kindle?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast