Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to fit gelatin into diet? page 5

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Why? I'm not convinced it matters for gelatin like it does for meat.
    If an animal is fed crap, it will infiltrate all of it's systems, yes, perhaps not in huge quantities but to over simplify it, we are what we eat. In addition to the nutritional aspects of sourcing your animal products, there is also a great deal of environmental and ecological consideration to factor in to play.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    I have no idea yet but I'm trying to get rid of cellulite and keep my skin firm and nice looking. I figure gelatin can't hurt.
    Not what I'm looking for, but I could live with firmer skin.

I found a little article on line which said that there were no studies showing gelatin worked for joint pain or arthritis. I can accept that all evidence might be anecdotal at this point. But then it went on to say that it is risky to supplement the diet with gelatin because it is an animal product. Hello? Sounds like the article was written by a vegan on an agenda.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    If an animal is fed crap, it will infiltrate all of it's systems, yes, perhaps not in huge quantities but to over simplify it, we are what we eat.
    I'm all over grass-fed and pasture raised meats and eggs. My food budget is far outside the norm because buying the right meats at local farms is worth it to me. I'm just not convinced that there's any nutritional difference between gelatin from feedlot animals and happy, pasture-raised. Thought maybe you had some information I hadn't seen about nutritional differences in gelatin.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    In addition to the nutritional aspects of sourcing your animal products, there is also a great deal of environmental and ecological consideration to factor in to play.
    That's certainly a valid point. Right now my dollars have to go where they can maximize my personal well-being, which means pretty much 100% grass-fed meat and pastured local eggs, but unspecified-source gelatin, and my dairy that's mostly well-sourced, but some conventional stuff sneaks in. I'd spend the money buying 100% pastured dairy before I'd go grass-fed on my gelatin. But if you have some other info about it, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Great Lakes Gelatin Company | Official Web Site | Collagen Joint Care

Here is the link to one of the companies making high quality gelatin. NOW brand and gobio also make sheet and powdered gelatin but they are significantly more expensive. Have a look. I think you will find it rather affordable.

Mldami is offline Senior Member
    I just mix it right into my morning coffee. with a dollop of butter, a dollop of coconut oil.. and if I am feeling whacky, an egg, some cinnamon and vanilla. Gotta blend quickly before the egg cooks. But talk about FROTH! Holy moly!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    So, for breakfast I mixed a tbsp of porcine Great Lakes gelatin in some chicken broth along with an egg and kerrygold butter mixed in. Couldn't detect any flavor or change in the texture. Wish I had some OJ to chase it with. Need to go shopping. will definitely add gelatin to more things now!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Just had an ounce softened in 1-1/2 cups of water, then heated. 2 tsp artificial sweetener and 1/8 tsp citric acid. Not bad. I feel good.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    will definitely add gelatin to more things now!
    I am gonna get some tomorrow. I always see it at my dutch store, but I just wasnt sure what to do with it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    I just ordered some of the Great Lakes gelatin. I can't wait to try some of the ideas here!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast