Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is it to eat right before/after workout, in your experience? page

UTfootball747 is offline Member

How important is it to eat right before/after workout, in your experience?

Primal Fuel
    I'm sort of in a phase right now where I'm getting back into going to the gym on a daily basis, and have mainly been focusing on light cardio.

I plan to start lifting again next week. This will be different than in the past, however, because as of late I've been getting up and going to the gym before work. I might have a bit of coffee on the way, but I generally don't eat at this hour (about 5:30).

Anyone of the opinion that lifting basically right after waking up, without eating anything, will affect my progress? Is it important that I eat immediately afterward? My old routine had me working out immediately after work (a few hours after lunch), and consuming a protein shake or similar after my workout. I really dislike going to the gym after work, but I don't want to prevent progress, either.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think it's important if you're trying to gain weight. I never do either, but I'm not trying to gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think it's important if you're trying to gain weight. I never do either, but I'm not trying to gain weight.
    I'm trying to add muscle, which I suppose would qualify...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I notice that when I lift first thing in the morning before breakfast (but after some coffee) I do not feel as flexible or as strong/energetic as when I lift after breakfast and before lunch. So maybe it helps to eat before, but it probably doesn't matter how much before. I have not noticed it matters how much afterward I eat. If I'm hungry I eat right away, if not I might wait a bit. Even being female I've managed to add some muscle not really worrying either way, before or after. I just make sure I eat lots of protein (chicken or fish mostly.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    it depends on your personal preferences and your goals. i for one, can't lift heavy on an empty stomach. it makes me feel weak and awful. i need to eat something about an hour before. i also don't feel as strong first thing in the AM, so therefore i always lift in the afternoons.

if you're trying to gain weight, then you probably want to eat a little bit beforehand and then definitely afterwards. caloric surplus and whatnot...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    if you're trying to gain weight, then you probably want to eat a little bit beforehand and then definitely afterwards. caloric surplus and whatnot...
    What about the whole bit w/carbs right after or within 30-60 minutes or whatever (to refill glycogen stores?)? Is there a real effect there?

Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    What about the whole bit w/carbs right after or within 30-60 minutes or whatever (to refill glycogen stores?)? Is there a real effect there?
    i usually try to eat protein and carbs and very little fat post workout. seems to work for just about every bodybuilder and athlete on the planet. on my heavy lifting days, i tend to eat more carbs and less fat. and on my rest or cardio-focused days, i do higher fat and lower carb.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i usually try to eat protein and carbs and very little fat post workout. seems to work for just about every bodybuilder and athlete on the planet.
    Could you give me some examples? Perhaps you're at home so you can easily cook something, but I figured I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    Could you give me some examples? Perhaps you're at home so you can easily cook something, but I figured I'd ask.
    yeah. i work out at home, so i can make something immediately afterwards. and i usually work out in the afternoon, so i have dinner afterwards. so on a lifting day, i might do like 6-8 scrambled eggs, probably 2 potatoes , and an orange for breakfast. then i might come home and have some fruit or even a few cups of milk or something like that. then i'll lift. afterwards, i'll so some sort of meat or fish, 2-3 cups of white rice, and a mountain of veggies with some butter on them. i may or may not snack on something later than night. without crunching numbers, i know my protein is where i need it to be, my fat isn't that high, and my carbs are higher than usual. on a rest or cardio focused day, i might have bacon and eggs for breakfast. maybe a salad with tuna for lunch. and then dinner would be meat and veggies with a ton of butter on them. maybe throw in a little rice or a potato. so lots of protein, lots of fat, and not too many carbs. this just seems to work well for me

are you not at home?

Well, not if I workout in the morning. If I do my lifting after work I would be home shortly after my workout (in which case I would probably make a protein shake since dinner is usually eaten late at my house due to partner's work schedule). Any benefit to white rice over brown, or just a preference? I usually eat brown rice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast