Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vitamin D.....low low low page 2

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Hey grok,

I second Dragonfly's suggestion to look to iherb.com. In Canada, you won't find any vit D in dosages higher than 1000iu, and taking 10 tablets a day is asspain. Most of the drops I've found have questionable carrier oils, too. The other dosage recommends here are solid...I brought my own levels up from the 30's to 110 in about 3 months over this past winter with 6000iu/day.
    Your doctor may be able to prescribe a dose of 50,000 - 100,000 IU. They can run a calculation based on your blood test and weight to see how often you take them and for how long, before switching you to a maintenance dose.

Keep in mind they are discovering Vitamin D cofactors that the skin produce from the fun and other very good reasons to get your vitamin D from the sun. So once you have good sun again you should try to get as much of it as you can; Vitamin D and some of the cofactors, can be stored in the body for several months. This is one area where living like a Paleo man / woman may require some imagination, you need to outside with as few clothes on as possible for at least 5-10 hours per week.

You can download an Excel spreadsheet Vitamin D calculator from here. You'll need your latitude which you can get from here.

Improving your Vitamin D levels might be the single best thing you can do for your health.
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Butter/Cod Liver Blend - Green Pasture

I'm telling you, it's a miracle food
    Last edited by Gadsie; 04-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Billie trips balls

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Canada doesnt have sun?
    Depends on where you are...but here in Alberta, a sunny day usually means it's -30C with a howling wind. Who wants to go out in that?

Okay, so it's not like that *all* the time, but the farther north you get the lower the sun sits in the sky, even at its peak, which means less UV...which means less vit D production.

And there are plenty of places north of here where it's twilight-dark 24 hours a day for four months straight

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I get about 30 min of sun exposure/day at least, with full clothes on. In early winter, I had my levels checked and it was 48. This was when I was dosing about 3x/week of 5,000IU of D3.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Canada doesnt have sun?
    Basically, no!

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    Canada doesnt have sun?
    LOL....we have winter for approx. 6 months...we end up being to far from the sun to make any Vitamin D
    But the other 6 months depending on where you live its wonderful!

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone....I guess I just have to take more...quick question, so I should get tabs or caps vs liquid?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Don't take isolated vitamin D. Vitamin D (calciferol, the name says it) is necessary for the absorption of calcium while vitamin A is needed for the absorption of fosfor. Calcium breaks down the bones and fosfor builds bones. Life is a continuous cycle of death and birth so it's important you get both minerals in a correct ratio and absorb them in a correct ratio. If you get too much vitamin D compared to vitamin A, your body could pull fosfor from your bones. That's why I think that fermented cod liver oil and butter oil from green pasture is so good. It has these vitamins in a good ratio and they are not synthetic (which is the only kind of vitamin that can lead to overdose)
    Billie trips balls

kot
    kot is offline Member
    I second the fermented cod liver oil and butter oil from green pasture.....real food source of A and D

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I second the fermented cod liver oil and butter oil from green pasture.....real food source of A and D
    Green Pastures does have great marketing, but only contains about 1000 IUs of D3 per dose. (each batch is different, so you really don't know what you are paying all that money for!)

Not to mention that the ratio of A to D in Green Pastures is about 10:1, when it should be more like 1:1, evolutionarily speaking

MUCH cheaper to eat liver and hard cheese (Gouda is especially good) to get your A and K2 and supplement with oil-based D3 drops or gel caps. Supplement with Magnesium, too, unless you eat a lot of seafood.

Carlsons Solar D Gems are all naturally derived (lanolin and CLO) and cheap on iHerb. Lots of good choices on Amazon, too.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-06-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast