Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making special requests at restaurants? page

Lynx33 is offline Member

Making special requests at restaurants?

Primal Fuel
    Have any of you had to make special requests when eating out? I forgot my lunch the other day and decided to go to a 'south. st burger ' place. I ordered two beef patties without the bun and small fries. People were looking at me like I was crazy. Then I got even more weird looks when I asked them to just put onions on it and no other toppings. . It sucks when you are trying to avoid wheat and grains and cant eat anywhere besides home.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    As a celiac I have to do this all the time. Normally I have to talk with the manager and let them know I am very sensitive to gluten contamination and ask if they are sure they can accommodate. Then I have to make sure the fries aren't cooked in the same oil as breaded stuff and they don't grill buns on the same grill as my meat.

I usually just eat McDonald's since they have some of the best training in the industry and everything is frozen completely prepared so there isn't much chance for the local crew to screw it up.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I am gluten intolerant, so I have to do this, too. I really need to find a restaurant that cooks to order, and the server needs to have a clear idea of what I'm talking about. Otherwise they could end up sending something out on bread or with croutons, which if I sent it back to be redone without the bread or croutons, I'd have to trust them to re-prepare it rather than just pick out the offending parts and replate the order. And once they've sent it out wrong, I don't trust them to do the right thing.

Usually what I do is find something on the menu that appears to be acceptable, then inquire to make sure there will be no unpleasant surprises, even if I'd really rather eat something else.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You'll get over feeling weird about people looking at you. And once you do it enough, they'll realize it is just another type of eating, and won't stare at others.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can order with the bun and remove it at the table. This might avoid embarrassment. Also, nothing wrong with a little catsup and all the mustard you like. It's sad how small the meal is when you remove the bun, huh?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I would just toss away the bun. When we have catered lunches at work or at courses, that's what I do, grab like 3 or 4 sandwiches, and strip the bread .
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have a sensitivity/ allergy to cottonseed oil and avoid wheat. With the bread and such, I can pick it off and eat around it and be fine. Unfortunately, I'm not that lucky with cottonseed oil. Every new restaurant that doesn't explicitly advertise "100% [x] oil" gets questioned. It almost always goes the same way:
    "What oil do y'all use? I have an allergy to cottonseed oil."
    "Oh, it's a vegetable oil!"
    "I've learned the hard way that vegetable oil can contain any number of oils. Do you know what's in the vegetable oil?"
    "I think it's [soybean/ peanut], but let me go check."
    And then they come back with an answer. It's a pain in the ass (and I very rarely try a new restaurant over lunch because of it), but it's worth not getting the pain.
    After a while you get used to it and don't notice the stares.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you're gluten-intolerant, removing the bun and tossing it away at the table is not good enough. The burger is sufficiently cross-contaminated with bread crumbs to make a person sick.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am getting more used to it. I find the higher end restaurants cope better. You would have to drag me kicking and screaming to a McD's, still I sometimes get "poisoned" I have learned to ask specific things, like do you put egg in your burger, what do you use to thicken your sauce? etc etc. I am now very allergic eggs, and dairy and intolerant to gluten, so it has become really difficult.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Most of the places we frequent know me by now. No beans or rice, just extra vegetables!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast