Thread: Sauerkraut and Vitamin C Question.... page

Sauerkraut and Vitamin C Question....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was at the store today and looking at the back of a jar of Bubbies Sauerkraut, I was surprised to see it only provides 1% of the RDA of Vitamin C per 1/4 cup. Anybody know why that is? I read before that sauerkraut starts off high in Vitamin C, then the LB eat it all up, then at some point latter in the ferment it comes back, but could anybody explain the science behind it? I ferment my own kraut, and I want to make sure I'm not timing the ferment so it is coming out in some kind of Vitamin C Dead Zone.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Often times the store bought Sauerkraut has been pasteurized "for your safety". Which would destroy a good number of vitamins and other beneficial things. Sometimes they will add back live cultures, but not after the damage has been done.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    Often times the store bought Sauerkraut has been pasteurized "for your safety". Which would destroy a good number of vitamins and other beneficial things. Sometimes they will add back live cultures, but not after the damage has been done.
    This would be my guess based off of my limited knowledge.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    Bubbies brand of sauerkraut is a true-fermented 'kraut and has not been pasteurized. It even says on the jar that it is full of live cultures and is "proudly cloudy."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Bubbies brand of sauerkraut is a true-fermented 'kraut and has not been pasteurized. It even says on the jar that it is full of live cultures and is "proudly cloudy."
    Bubbies says they do heat their sauerkraut a little bit to calm it for shelves but not full on pasteurization. But I don't see how that would effect the Vitamin C content. Steaming or frying broccoli doesn't tank the Vitamin C content. Why would it in cabbage? Two things i read online were that exposure to oxygen can quickly reduce the Vitamin C content in sauerkraut and also that there is some stage of fermentation where the lactobacilli "consume" the Vitamin C at some point in the ferment but that then it reforms later. I don't have nearly the science knowledge to know whether either of these statements is true, but something must be going on. Cabbage has pretty high Vitamin C and Sauerkraut is supposed to have even more, so I'd really like to know why Bubbies has virtually none and how might relate to our fermenting at home.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Bubbies does heat it a bit for shelf stability. But not enough to kill off the good bacterias in the stuff thankfully.

Plus, it continues to ferment afterwards so any good bacteria that is lost has a chance to replenish itself.

And isn't Bubbies unnaturally white? It can't be that long of a ferment, but that makes it even more strange as to why it would be so lacking in Vitamin C.