Thread: The use of baking powder/ baking soda? page

MorganGirl is offline Member

The use of baking powder/ baking soda?

Shop Now
    I was just enjoying a mouthful of homemade paleo/primal banana bread when a thought hit me, and maybe I've glossed over the answer, so I apologize if this is uber redundant question...but...baking powders and sodas go against the PB, no?

Hoping I'm incorrect, this banana bread is darn good.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Not for me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Not for me.
    Meaning you don't eat it, or it doesnt go against PB for you?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I use both, it's such a small amount and I don't bake very often, it's hard for me to believe it could be that bad.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We still use then both.

Although we bake a lot less now.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Baking soda is fine by me but most baking powders are a mix of baking soda, cream of tartar, and corn starch. You can make your own baking powder by just mixing the first two ingredients and skipping the cornstarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Baking soda is fine by me but most baking powders are a mix of baking soda, cream of tartar, and corn starch. You can make your own baking powder by just mixing the first two ingredients and skipping the cornstarch.
    Good to know! Thank you!!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I believe the starch is included to delay the acid/alkali reaction until it's heated. I do look for aluminum-free baking powder but considering the tiny quantity I don't sweat the rest of it.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    baking soda is just sodium bicarbonate. It's quite harmless, even beneficial (and has a lot of uses - toothpaste, cleaning, etc).

baking powders can have a lot of variable ingredients, so just be more careful about which you get or just skip them - the purpose of these things is to raise bread / baked goods. This works by mixing some acidic ingredient with baking soda, which is alkaline (basic); the reaction, when wetted in the batter and during cooking, releases carbon dioxide gas bubbles that, when trapped in whatever you are cooking, create a lighter texture. In baking powder the cream of tartar / tartaric acid is the acidic ingredient, and any other ingredients are fillers or not necessary.

so, you can use baking soda and add into the recipe any acidic ingredient to do the same thing as baking powder (teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice for example).
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA