Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is carbonation bad? page

John Keiffer is offline Junior Member

Is carbonation bad?

Primal Fuel
    I have been a Diet Coke drinker for over 20 years. I quit 1 week ago. I'm suffering... but that's another issue.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows if carbonation is bad for you? Or carbon dioxide? I'm trying to drink sparkling mineral water now instead. What are the downsides? Are there any upsides?

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Well CO2 reacts with water to make carbonic acid (H2CO3 if anyones cares) so its very acidic still. I like my fizzy water sometimes, but only every couple weeks.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Perrier addict here. Is carbonic acid bad Tara? Sounds bad...but what's the deal with it?
    I grok, therefore I am.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Don't we exhale to expel toxic co2 from our bodies? why would you want to drink it

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    because the fizzy is fun!
    I grok, therefore I am.

lars1000 is offline Member
    I can drink a 12er of Club Soda in two days. I'm going to by a home carbonation system to save money.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Try kombucha! Very good for you, and fizzy! Try some different flavors at your HFS, and if you get hooked, you can easily make your own. I think Diana Renata makes it, so you could ask her on her journal.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know, the issue with drinking carbon dioxide is that it replaces oxygen in the blood. From what I recall reading, it's somewhere on the order of 5-10% less oxygen carrying capacity in your blood if you drink carbonation.

So it definitely detracts from peak mental and physical performance, but doesn't seem like a HUGE issue. Enjoy your kombucha and water kefir in moderation .

CanisDirus is offline Member
    I used to be a diet dr. pepper addict, since going primal I was unable to drink it anymore. It made me nauseous and I got horrible headaches (I think from the MSG/hidden HFCS's in the "caramel coloring").

I switched to Perrier and I have no problems. I don't drink it daily though.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    As far as I know, the issue with drinking carbon dioxide is that it replaces oxygen in the blood. From what I recall reading, it's somewhere on the order of 5-10% less oxygen carrying capacity in your blood if you drink carbonation.

So it definitely detracts from peak mental and physical performance, but doesn't seem like a HUGE issue. Enjoy your kombucha and water kefir in moderation .
    I think the only risk is acidification of your GI tract, and maybe mineral depletion. Also for the teeth I believe. Youre talking about blood gasses, and I dont see how the two are related. Do you have a source b/c if this is the case I sure as heck wanna know!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast