Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar or grains worse to cheat with? page

carrotFlowers is offline Junior Member

Sugar or grains worse to cheat with?

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

Very new to eating primal. Have gone about 1 week. I have cheated a couple times, though I don't let it derail me and consider myself adjusting in to it. My question is whether - when I do cheat - it's worse to cheat on some grain or some sugar (ie. if I ate say an oatmeal bar, or some milk chocolate [like part of an easter egg I perhaps consumed earlier today] - which is worse?).

Thanks!

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carrotFlowers View Post
    Hey guys,

Very new to eating primal. Have gone about 1 week. I have cheated a couple times, though I don't let it derail me and consider myself adjusting in to it. My question is whether - when I do cheat - it's worse to cheat on some grain or some sugar (ie. if I ate say an oatmeal bar, or some milk chocolate [like part of an easter egg I perhaps consumed earlier today] - which is worse?).

Thanks!
    You're thinking about it the wrong way. If you're preparing to cheat, you're preparing to fail.

I have to disagree. As I said I'm easing into it, I would still like an answer.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Maybe 'cheat' with something of higher quality? Dark chocolate instead of a bar of snickers? Nuts instead of oatmeal bar?

Whenever I get the feeling of wanting something close to grains or sugar, I try to get the least processed food, e.g. nuts, milk, dark chocolate, cheese... these are not part of what I eat daily because I tend to overeat or react negatively, but helps get rid of the craving.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Grains, except maybe for white rice are bad in any amount.
    Processed sugar is not optimal, but imo harmless in small quantities.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. What's with the double posts today?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    If it comes right down to sugar vs. grains, for me, sugar gets a pass. If it's in something I'm making, I use coconut sugar, maple syrup or, at worst, raw cane sugar before refined white sugar. Of course, you can't really do that with processed products, but you can avoid HFCS, so you should try to do that at all costs.

Sefton is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint since first week of Dec. 2012. Successfully avoided bread, cookies, crackers since then....fairly straight on the PB. However, when I "cheat", and I do cheat several (2 to 3) times a month..it is with ice-cream. I get pint container of the most organic-natural ingredient brand I can get.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've not cheated on grains, just sugar, and will now plan to keep it that way. I will definitely get some better alternatives next time. Thanks again!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carrotFlowers View Post
    I have to disagree. As I said I'm easing into it, I would still like an answer.
    If you want a bottom line, I would stick with cutting out wheat.

After a while your desire for excessive sugar will decline.

True story: I made a 'hot chocolate' with milk, cream, cocoa and about 1/2 an easter egg for my kids and all three of them thought it was too sweet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast