Thread: The more I eat, the more weight I lose? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

The more I eat, the more weight I lose?

Shop Now
    I have recently tried an experiment, after many people mentioned that I should be eating a lot more and all of a sudden since increasing my calories by a lot, I am losing weight! I really don't get how this works, but do others find this helps get through a plateau by increasing calories? how long until I should lower the calories again.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's clearly calories in, calories out.

(ducks for cover)

If it's working for you, why do you need to reduce calories in the future?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I have recently tried an experiment, after many people mentioned that I should be eating a lot more and all of a sudden since increasing my calories by a lot, I am losing weight!
    Yes, if more calories makes you spend much more calories, makes you train harder move more around etc! Another factor is that the body may drop waterweight from the empty or half empty fatcells when it comes more food, but this is a preparation to start filling them up with more fat again so be careful...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 04-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    It makes perfect sense from my perspective.

If your diet was your fitness regimen you would've been doing the equivalent of 10 pushups a day, every day, this we all know would've lent straight to a stall in musculo-skeletal progression (as the consistent calorie constriction stalled your metabolism). All of a sudden you gave your body 30 push ups to do, then 10 pull ups and 30 squats and some planks to do, and your body would respond positively by adapting to the new challenge (just like your metabolism did by adjusting to the new challenge you gave it). Guess what tho, If you kept on doing the pushup, pull up, sqaut and plank program without adjusting it you would eventually stall as well.

I believe keeping your metabolism on its toes is what gives great results, I explore this further in a post I made:

Applying Fitness principles to our diet

check it out
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 04-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    It's clearly calories in, calories out.
    (ducks for cover)
    Well Played!

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, if more calories makes you spend much more calories, makes you train harder move more around etc! Another factor is that the body may drop waterweight from the empty or half empty fatcells when it comes more food, but this is a preparation to start filling them up with more fat again so be careful...
    I've never heard of this before...can you explain the science behind it?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    I've never heard of this before...can you explain the science behind it?
    I am not sure that science knows exactly what's going on, but my personal experience and the experience from many other dieters indicates that when fat cells are dropping stored triglycerides on a diet, in a calorie deficit, it refills temporary with water and minerals that "masks" the weight loss, and when doing a re-feed with calories above maintenance then the body drop this water - a sudden whoosh happens - and you becomes several pound lighter overnight by eating more! Why does this happen I cannot explain in scientific terms, but I suppose that it is as a preparation to start refilling the fat cells with tri-glycerides again.

Lyle McDonald has written more about this strange phenomenon here:

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=14

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I am not sure that science knows exactly what's going on, but my personal experience and the experience from many other dieters indicates that when fat cells are dropping stored triglycerides on a diet, in a calorie deficit, it refills temporary with water and minerals that "masks" the weight loss, and when doing a re-feed with calories above maintenance then the body drop this water - a sudden whoosh happens - and you becomes several pound lighter overnight by eating more! Why does this happen I cannot explain in scientific terms, but I suppose that it is as a preparation to start refilling the fat cells with tri-glycerides again.

Lyle McDonald has written more about this strange phenomenon here:

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=14
    +1 I LOVE his article!

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Interesting theory....thanks for sharing that!