Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gassy! page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

gassy!

Primal Fuel
    I've been tracking my food with cronometer these days to make sure I'm not missing on any nutrition. When I see I didn't get enough of X, I just eat that food. I feel like my diet is getting more balanced, less lean protein, more starch, more seafood, etc. My mood and energy have improved as well since adding starch.

I posted before about veggies making me bloated and constipated. So I cut down on leafies and cruciferous veggies, and replaced them with beets, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, gourds, etc. Still I get gassy. Sweet potato and potato make me very gassy.

I take probiotics (greek yogurt, kefir) a few times a week or so. Occasionally I juice green leafy veggies to avoid the fiber. But if I take away veggies and tubers from meals, what else can I eat with meat/fish?

peppermint is offline Member
    Avocados are good with anything. Mushrooms maybe? I can't really suggest not eating vegetables. How much dairy do you do?

I eat both avocados and mushrooms regularly.

Not much dairy now. I used to crave milk/cheese before, but since tracking what I'm eating and consciously changing some foods, I stopped craving. I know dairy makes me bloated, but not as much as fiber does.

peppermint is offline Member
    Since you do starches, maybe try some white rice?

While not really about gas in particular, whenever I have any stomach/digestive issues (or just want a nice warm relaxing drink before bed) I have some tea of a blend of chamomile, peppermint and ginger, with a teaspoon of raw honey. Feels good.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Uncomfortably painful gas, or just, you know, more tooting than you'd like?

If it's the later, don't worry about it, you're supposed to that. It's not usually an aberration and it's a darn shame society has taught women that it's unladylike to pass gas, often making something that should have been painless (if a little odorous) and natural into a painful experience trying to hold it in.

You don't want to inhibit gas production too much by avoiding foods that make you flatulent, because that also means you're starving the very same gut flora you're going to all the trouble to introduce with probiotics. Potatoes have a lot of resistant starch, something that good bacteria can thrive on. Thriving bacteria also means more bacterial waste products which means more gas. It's the smelly circle of life.

Also, if your intestinal flora is "in shape" it can more easily handle that fiber that's been bloating you.
    Last edited by Croak; 04-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Uncomfortably painful gas, or just, you know, more tooting than you'd like?

If it's the later, don't worry about it, you're supposed to that. It's not usually an aberration and it's a darn shame society has taught women that it's unladylike to pass gas, often making something that should have been painless (if a little odorous) and natural into a painful experience trying to hold it in.

You don't want to inhibit gas production too much by avoiding foods that make you flatulent, because that also means you're starving the very same gut flora you're going to all the trouble to introduce with probiotics. Potatoes have a lot of resistant starch, something that good bacteria can thrive on. Thriving bacteria also means more bacterial waste products which means more gas. It's the smelly circle of life.

Also, if your intestinal flora is "in shape" it can more easily handle that fiber that's been bloating you.
    So you're saying that gas is normal? I assume I'm not digesting fiber well.

The gas is not painful, but not comfortable. Usually comes together with constipation. I can live with the occasional gas because I enjoy veggies. However, I control fiber intake because straining too hard from bulky poops exacerbates hemorrhoids.

My fiber intake averages around 25-30g daily. I have noticed some days I get gassier than others, and has more to do with certain veggies than amount of fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
    Since you do starches, maybe try some white rice?

While not really about gas in particular, whenever I have any stomach/digestive issues (or just want a nice warm relaxing drink before bed) I have some tea of a blend of chamomile, peppermint and ginger, with a teaspoon of raw honey. Feels good.
    I have white rice sometimes, but I always think it's just empty calories and very easy to overeat. Hence, I was trying out potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.

That tea sounds nice.. off to try some tonight

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I second the mushrooms; I've been eating them lots lately, and they are delicious braised in a savory broth. How about cooking your veggies? I always cook mine, screw the nutritional breakdown, I prefer my veggies cooked, and I've never had gas problems. Other veggie suggestions I have are summer squashes like zucchini, and leeks.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Since we are on the topic I would note that since going primal my gas has made a significant decrease in how bad it's odor is. Not sure if this is something to chalk up as a minor win, but I take it as such. It's the same for deodorant. I am down to not wearing any of the nasty drugstore stuff and just apply some essential oils to combat my more minor fragrance now

I would also toss out the idea of some sort of fasting. Maybe instead of tweaking foods just give your digestive system a break or frequent breaks. It also took me a couple trials with probiotics brands before I felt differences. Also leafy herbs are cleansing...parsley cilantro salads with lemon juice and olive oil are amazing and go with everything

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I know you are finding that the starches correlate with the gas, but perhaps try another form of probiotic. Try a supplement or saurkraut, something dairy-free.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast