Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gassy! page 3

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree with RobinNM that gas is not fatal but it is not really normal either.
    Have you explored the "Gutsense" website? There is also a book called Fiber Menace by the same guy. I recommend both.

I really think that we manage with our symbiotic colony of gut flora to get through fibrous foods but I really don't think we need them for any particular reason.

Since moving to a largely animal based diet with only incidental condiment veggies, my digestive system has never been happier.
    Paleobird, I remember your thread about carnivorous diet, and was very much intrigued. I did notice on days where I have little to no fiber, I have no gas nor bloat. But I've never fully adopted it as I always thought we needed certain nutrition from veggies.

I have read Fiber Menace, and since then have cut down fiber intake, but it seems that even a little causes gas for me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Paleobird, I remember your thread about carnivorous diet, and was very much intrigued. I did notice on days where I have little to no fiber, I have no gas nor bloat. But I've never fully adopted it as I always thought we needed certain nutrition from veggies.

I have read Fiber Menace, and since then have cut down fiber intake, but it seems that even a little causes gas for me.
    I really think the "eatyourhealthyfibrousveggies" mantra is just the last bastion of CW after we have already seen through the "eatyourhealthywholegrains" thing.

If I eat any plant matter now it is because I actively want to, not because it's "supposed to be" good for you.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you PB, my digestion is smoother and quieter and less aromatic when it's mostly meat.

Problem is, that shift to a (mostly) carnivorous diet did take some adjustment time, and part of that adjustment was likely a mass die-off the gut flora that likes fiber and starch, good and bad.

So if (for whatever reason) you add more than a little starch and fiber back into your diet, it's going to be a fiesta for any of those surviving bacteria, and and real bummer for your guts if none of those little guys are around to help move things along.

Often it's a little of both, the good bacteria are busy reproducing, but they haven't reached a mass that'll be beneficial to shuffling that new waste on down the line in a timely manner.

So, like the OP adding starch back in after a long period without, one can bloat and get gassy. No getting around it, but it tends to be self-regulating given enough time.

All that said, gas IS normal. We can debate about the quantity (and quality!) of it, but it's a fact that gut flora produces gas as a product of their life cycle, and it has to come out eventually. Lets just be glad it comes out exhaust instead of the intake.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123