Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: gassy! page 2

  1. #11
    KT79's Avatar
    KT79 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Riverside, IL
    Posts
    61
    Shop Now
    You may want to get your magnesium levels checked. I have low magnesium, and if I forget to take my supplements, I have gas and constipation issues.

  2. #12
    RobinNM's Avatar
    RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    119
    I'm of the belief that you are not SUPPOSED to have gas. The only reason you have gas is because food has moved into your large intestine without being fully digested and absorbed by the small intestine. The only time I have issues is when I eat anything wheat or processed foods of any sort. There is a school of thought that says that the correct combinations of foods also plays an important role.

    Don't flame me, but I happen to think some of it makes sense. There is an author named Natalia Rose who, yes, is a raw foods nutritionist, but her take on combining foods makes sense and I see what she means when I apply it to my own life. The concept behind it is if you combine foods that incompatible, then your body has to produce different enzymes to deal with those foods, thereby cancelling each other out. I have NO scientific proof of this, just my own N=1 applications.

    You've got starches, fleshes, nuts/seeds/dried fruit, veggies, and then fresh fruit. For the most part, the only things that combine at all are veggies and one other combination.

    Fresh fruit should only ever be eaten by itself. I only eat fresh fruit first thing in teh morning. If I eat anything that is fruity after I've already had other types of food, I better be in a room by myself. Eating fruit on top of other foods inhibits the digestion of the fruit and it just ferments. For me, this is bad. I've done it. It's horrible and uncomfortable and no one better light a match in a 1 mile radius.

    Avocado combines as a starch - not a fruit or veggie, so when I put avocado on my salad with chicken (thereby mixing a starch with a flesh which shouldn't be done) I will get massive gas which I don't do with just the chicken and the salad.

    I tried to explain this to my brother, the self-proclaimed methane factory - and he completely shot down my statement before I even got a chance to explain it. I just looked at him and said, well I'm not the one who's creating all the greenhouse gases, now, am I?

    I know it sounds crazy and there are plenty on this board who may just shoot me down, but for me it works and I rarely have issues unless I combine something wrong. Or eat onions. Those do it no matter what. Love those little suckers, but they don't love me back.

  3. #13
    catpaws's Avatar
    catpaws is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    14
    I have IBS with one of my main symptoms being a lot of gas (unfortunately smelly). I have been doing daily IFing, and it's gotten almost all the way better. I think the nice long break my digestive system gets helps. Digestive enzymes helped a lot too!

  4. #14
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,867
    My boyfriend gets gas from a lot of different things, including vegetables and oils. He chooses to eat them anyway and rides it out.

    I used to get gas a lot, but having given up gluten, beans, and cooked dairy, it only happens with overcooked onions, and I'm not giving them up.

  5. #15
    Salina13's Avatar
    Salina13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Where ever I am
    Posts
    38
    Since I've been doing ketogenic eating, I rarely get gas anymore. Cutting out gluten and dairy was the first step but I still had the occasional bloating and I think it was from certain vegetables and too much fruit. I still eat alot of vegetables but its mostly dark, leafy greens like spinach and kale, tomatoes, romaine, black olives, avocados, hearts of palms, carrots, mushrooms and sometimes broccoli.
    If I do eat broccoli, I don't go overboard on it because it definitely lends to the "rare gas" events.
    Some of us just have EXTREMELY sensitive digestive systems and it sucks and takes alot of time to find out what needs to be eliminated to control certain issues.

  6. #16
    girlhk's Avatar
    girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    You may want to get your magnesium levels checked. I have low magnesium, and if I forget to take my supplements, I have gas and constipation issues.
    I take Mg supplements to help with that. It helps prevent constipation, but I still get gassy.

  7. #17
    girlhk's Avatar
    girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    I'm of the belief that you are not SUPPOSED to have gas.
    I wonder about this-- how normal is it to have lots of gas?

  8. #18
    girlhk's Avatar
    girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Salina13 View Post
    Since I've been doing ketogenic eating, I rarely get gas anymore. Cutting out gluten and dairy was the first step but I still had the occasional bloating and I think it was from certain vegetables and too much fruit. I still eat alot of vegetables but its mostly dark, leafy greens like spinach and kale, tomatoes, romaine, black olives, avocados, hearts of palms, carrots, mushrooms and sometimes broccoli.
    If I do eat broccoli, I don't go overboard on it because it definitely lends to the "rare gas" events.
    Some of us just have EXTREMELY sensitive digestive systems and it sucks and takes alot of time to find out what needs to be eliminated to control certain issues.
    I find that wheat, nuts, dairy make me a bit bloated, but not on the same level of gas as veggies. Perhaps I should cut out fiber altogether and see.

  9. #19
    Meghanner's Avatar
    Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    238
    I'd nix the dairy entirely and see how you do for a while.

  10. #20
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I find that wheat, nuts, dairy make me a bit bloated, but not on the same level of gas as veggies. Perhaps I should cut out fiber altogether and see.
    I agree with RobinNM that gas is not fatal but it is not really normal either.
    Have you explored the "Gutsense" website? There is also a book called Fiber Menace by the same guy. I recommend both.

    I really think that we manage with our symbiotic colony of gut flora to get through fibrous foods but I really don't think we need them for any particular reason.

    Since moving to a largely animal based diet with only incidental condiment veggies, my digestive system has never been happier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •