Thread: Kathleen here page

kathleen is offline Senior Member

Kathleen here

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

This is how I got here: Late last year, I went in for some food allergy tests. I was suffering from indigestion, bloating, stomach pain, and a myriad of other symptoms that I later learned were related to food allergies. The diagnosis? Wheat, rye, barley, oats, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, and avacado. Basically, most plant stuff. Also, I have always had a bit of an intolerance to dairy. I can really only eat aged cheeses, and yogurt (for whatever reason) without getting indigestion. I can have a bit of cream in my coffee, but I haven't had a glass of milk (or bowl of milk and cereal) in about 7 years now.

Well, I stopped eating all the foods I found out I was allergic to, which was really hard to do because it seems that they pump wheat and soy into just about everything (think: tomato soup, chocolate bars, and pepperoni. I know, WTF?) I don't live on the scale or anything, but I can tell you I probably lost about 10 or so pounds pretty quickly. The bloating and swelling went down. Also, I could actually breathe! Apparently, cloggy and runny sinuses are a side effect of food allergies, specifically common with soy. Who knew?

Anyway, my friend went on the Virgin Diet. If you don't know what the Virgin Diet is, it's basicallly where you cut out wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, peanuts, sugar, and something else (I forgot). I asked my friend about it, about what it was, and I was like "hey, I'm practically on that anyway!" since the diet is to cut common food allergies and intolerances. You are supposed to cut excess body fat that way, and that sounds a lot like what happened with me when I quit my 'bad foods.'

I started reading blogs about that diet plan, the Whole30 plan, and eventually lead me to this site. The Paleo diet, right? The Paleo, Whole30, and Virgin Diet seem to all share one similar common trait: Don't eat food that you wouldn't have eaten before agriculture.

Reading about the Paleo diet, I came to this conclusion: Pretty much all of my food allergies are allergies to things that I *would not* have eaten as a hunter-gatherer.

Maybe my body isn't cut out to eat wheat and soy, and the allergic reactions are just its way of telling me so.

So, here I am. I've been kinda-sorta on the Paleo diet without knowing. I am here to get even more education about the choices I have been (unintentionally) making since I stopped eating certain foods (mostly grains), and also to learn about the workout routine! ---I am *not* overweight, but I am tired of huffing and puffing up stairs. I want to be stronger, and this site is very inspiring for that.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    great start, almost intuitively found the path

awesome, keep us up to date with your progress and any revelations as you switch to primal

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

beaubutterfly is offline Member
    hey Kathleen....nice to meet you Have you started a journal of your primal/exercise journey? That might help too xo

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Hi all and thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubutterfly View Post
    hey Kathleen....nice to meet you Have you started a journal of your primal/exercise journey? That might help too xo
    No I have not started a journal, although I think I will incorporate some of it into my blog: wheatsoynut.blogspot.com. I am guilty of eating non-primal things, but I really have seen a difference not eating soy and wheat (and wheat-like grains). I write on there a lot about food, which I must admit has the evil corn and rice flours, but it's not like I eat a pound of cake for dinner

vidic07 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello and Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here for a long time.
    Last edited by vidic07; 04-08-2013 at 06:44 PM.