Thread: I've decided to do the Crossfit Bodyweight WOD 3-4 times a week. Good idea? page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

I've decided to do the Crossfit Bodyweight WOD 3-4 times a week. Good idea?

I'm poor. No funds for a globo-gym and especially no funds for a Crossfit box. Also no room and no money for equipment. Not even equipment I can build myself. I have a newborn son that will be 4 weeks old next Tuesday. So the funds go to him and raising him.
    I do have a a pull up/dip station here in my house. I bought this from Craigslist last year after the tax refund.

I remembered the WOD from Crossfit. I now have the app on my phone called The WOD Shop. So now when I work out I just do the bodyweight WOD. Well the best of my ability. I'm not in the best shape right now.

Unfortunately I know Mark's PBF says to lift heavy. But not sure how I can lift heavy in a small space and without weights. Right now the three of us rent the mother-in-law's house. We plan on moving later this year to a apartment or a condo. Not sure which one yet.

So is this a good idea or a bad idea? If it's good or bad please tell me why. There are a lot of people here on these forums that I respect and have more knowledge when it comes to fitness.
    Last edited by linuxguy0481; 04-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.

nburgraff is offline Member
    Bodyweight exercises are always really great. After you start adapting to the bodyweight exercises you can always make them tougher by making them more explosive. (rather than having to use weights) This would be things such as clapping push-ups instead of push-ups and squat jumps rather than bodyweight squats and other things like that. With variation like that, you can keep the workload high without using any weights at all.

Hope that helps!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Check stuff (everything!) by Ido Portal. There's a lot of cool stuff on his youtube channel. Mostly bodyweight stuff, all of it pretty hard. I've been giving it a go for the last month, I've seen huge improvements in my agility and my mobility.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Please don't do crossfit...

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out! and there is nothing wrong with crossfit, if you go to a "Box" that teaches properly...Good luck, and enjoy
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Sandbags(Bulgarian bag) are also a cheaper "heavy weight". You can make them yourself for practically pennies...
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Ain't nothing wrong with bodyweight exercises. Done properly, they will get you ripped just like anything else. Prison inmates, hello.

Convict Conditioning has awesome progressions for learning advanced bodyweight movements like one-armed pullups, one-armed handstand pushups, planches, etc. Also +1 to the Al Kavadlo recommendation above. He's great.

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out! and there is nothing wrong with crossfit, if you go to a "Box" that teaches properly...Good luck, and enjoy
    Thanks for the feedback. I respect Al Kavadlo. I am just not sure what book to purchase from him. I like the fact that he only does bodyweight workouts. I will have to contact him directly and see what he says.

@Winterbike: Thank you I will look up Ido Portal on Youtube and subscribe to his channel.