Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Workout when sick? page

  1. #1
    Sarahrob2248's Avatar
    Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79

    Workout when sick?

    Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone..I've been really battling a sinus infection the pat few days, and have finally accepted I need to go to the doctor and get antibiotics tomorrow. I've been going to work as much as I can, but when I get done, I just don't have the energy to workout and end up in bed napping for the evening. I also am having trouble getting up to workout in the mornings. This lack of energy has only happened the past few days or so, when my infection has gotten really bad.

    Do you keep exercising while you are sick? Is it better to push your body through it, or let your body rest? I feel bad I haven't worked out in three days, but I just feel like crap....

    TIA all

    sarah

  2. #2
    Beef Cake's Avatar
    Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrob2248 View Post
    Do you keep exercising while you are sick? Is it better to push your body through it, or let your body rest? I feel bad I haven't worked out in three days, but I just feel like crap....
    It depends on if I feel like working out or not. I go to the gym...all 42 steps from my bedroom to the front door of the "gym." I start my planned routine and if I am just not into it, I try doing some light cardio. If that just sucks, then I stretch. If I still feel unmotivated...I go eat bacon.

    Listen to your body, it will tell you what you need. I do think showing up is important to weed out psychological and physiological differences of not wanting to work out.
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy

    Trashy Women
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8Yptnh2kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkG3...eature=related

    Beef Cake's Primal Hardcore Porn<strike>Erotica<strike>...er...I mean my journal...

  3. #3
    Sarahrob2248's Avatar
    Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79
    I usually love working out, and I definitely want to, but I feel like my body just isn't letting me

    I developed a fever and feel like I'm going to fall asleep while typing this...I just feel achey and exhausted in general, while usually I have tons of energy thanks to my fave coconut oil

  4. #4
    DianeThePurple's Avatar
    DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Torrance, CA, USA
    Posts
    817
    Listen to your body... get some rest, take it easy. You can't be Superwoman all the time.

    I hope you feel all better soon!

  5. #5
    Daemonized's Avatar
    Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    2,252
    I cut back when I'm sick or completely exhausted from lack of sleep. I happen to have a sore throat this week and I'm not feeling good so, this I haven't worked out since Tuesday. I can't wait until I feel better and I can get back to it.

  6. #6
    Timothy's Avatar
    Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    714
    Coincidentally enough, I too have had a sore throat and sinus infection these past couple of days. (Man is that ever a disappointment, because I hadn't been sick once since going primal four months ago.)

    I love working out and it's torture for me to stay away, but it's quite clear that my body needs to focus on autoimmunity right now, not aerobic or anaerobic conditioning. So even though I miss my hammer and my MP3 player is halfway through cheapo's awesome dance mix (+1!), I'm simply trying to sleep it off as much as possible. No way am I going to risk crashing my system by getting busy before my body feels up to it.

    One advantage of this infection, though, it burns fat more efficiently than an actual aerobic workout. I've been radiating mad heat on fewer calories, and cut three pounds right off my pooch over the last couple of days, even with the congestion/inflammation. So maybe an infection once in a while is just what the Groktor ordered for body recomp.

    No antibiotics for me though, as I'm afraid to throw out the baby (beneficial bacteria) with the bathwater (streptococcus?)

    Everyone, feel better soon!

  7. #7
    Beef Cake's Avatar
    Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I cut back when I'm sick or completely exhausted from lack of sleep.
    Cutting back when I am exhausted from lack of sleep is what I do as well. This week has been brutal. At one point I was operating on 2 hours of sleep during a 47 hour period. I thought it was over, but it continued until just now. Since Monday at 5:20 a.m., I have had about 11 hours of sleep. There is no way I am going to tax my body further by working out.

    I do continue to eat primal though. That has actually helped me get through this week with more energy than I thought would be possible prior to PB.
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy

    Trashy Women
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8Yptnh2kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkG3...eature=related

    Beef Cake's Primal Hardcore Porn<strike>Erotica<strike>...er...I mean my journal...

  8. #8
    Sarahrob2248's Avatar
    Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Coincidentally enough, I too have had a sore throat and sinus infection these past couple of days. (Man is that ever a disappointment, because I hadn't been sick once since going primal four months ago.)

    I love working out and it's torture for me to stay away, but it's quite clear that my body needs to focus on autoimmunity right now, not aerobic or anaerobic conditioning. So even though I miss my hammer and my MP3 player is halfway through cheapo's awesome dance mix (+1!), I'm simply trying to sleep it off as much as possible. No way am I going to risk crashing my system by getting busy before my body feels up to it.

    One advantage of this infection, though, it burns fat more efficiently than an actual aerobic workout. I've been radiating mad heat on fewer calories, and cut three pounds right off my pooch over the last couple of days, even with the congestion/inflammation. So maybe an infection once in a while is just what the Groktor ordered for body recomp.

    No antibiotics for me though, as I'm afraid to throw out the baby (beneficial bacteria) with the bathwater (streptococcus?)

    Everyone, feel better soon!
    I haven't been sick either until now! I was super-bummed since I usually got sick constantly before PB, and since I have felt awesome. Oh well. I have noticed that my infection seems a lot less intense than it usually would. I've really been resisting taking anti-B's, but I'm leaving for a cruise Sunday and I'm not willing to risk being sick the whole week. I'm taking probiotics too, which I know is not perfect, but it's the best I can think of doing while I take the antibiotics.

  9. #9
    AppalachianMatt's Avatar
    AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    607
    Rest is never a bad thing when you're sick.Yes we hate to miss our workouts but when our body tells us we need to take a step back we should listen. I tried to workout through a bad sinus infection a few weeks back and made it worse. I took 3 days off and it went away. I got right back into my routine and didn't miss a beat.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

    Mary Pickford

  10. #10
    robss's Avatar
    robss is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    123
    Yeah, don't force yourself to work out if you are feeling sick. Let your body use the energy you would expend working out to fight your infection instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •