Thread: Type 2 Diabetes and Cholesterol and LDL particle size page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Type 2 Diabetes and Cholesterol and LDL particle size

Primal Fuel
    Chatted with my doc; have type 2 diabetes from the 'carb' years; and have been on a ketogenic diet for over a year,
    Doc says; particle size of LDL doesn't matter much in diabetics; we are extra sensitive. Not sure if he was telling me not to eat eggs for breakfast or to switch back to oatmeal and wheat bread.?

Isn't eating very low carb; the healthiest thing I can do?

Whats the skinny on Paleo; and type 2 diabetics, LDL particle size; and Triglycerides and inflammation?
    Last edited by zebonaut; 04-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like your doctor isn't very good at communicating. Go with your instincts. He forgot to get to the point he was trying to make.

My guess is that he was itching to put me on a statin... I merely told him I "follow the science" and am "reasonably well read"; he questioned whether I had a PHD or not. He also told me the brain runs on glucose; while I wondered if it can not also burn ketones..... Am obviously somewhat skeptical of docs and conventional wisdom
    I think he thought I was a "difficult patient"... LOL
    Last edited by zebonaut; 04-04-2013 at 03:02 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    "Doc says; particle size of LDL doesn't matter much in diabetics; we are extra sensitive"
    He's right, but his point is completely irrelevant. LDL particle size DOES matter when it comes to heart disease, which is a disease of diabetes/metabolic syndrome, so I think he's giving you questionable medical advice in the bolded bit. LDL particle size DOES matter, because the smaller oxidised particles are more likely to injure your arterial walls.

He's also right that the brain requires some glucose to run, but
    1. Your body is capable of making glucouse via gluconeogenesis
    2. You are almost certainly taking in some glucose if you are eating vegetables

"Isn't eating very low carb; the healthiest thing I can do?"
    It depends what you mean by VLC. On this forum it means < 50g carbs a day, so I'll assume you mean that. That works for some people very well, but it doesn't work for others. I personally found I had depressed thyroid function on a low carb level and now I don't restrict carb intake (i.e. I eat 'safe starches'). Given that you are a diabetic I think that you should still err on the side of lowish carbs (I wouldn't go above 150g/day) but you don't need to abolish them from your diet either.

You can eat carbs while still avoiding eating grasses.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Actually I think the healthiest thing you can do is get a blood glucose meter and track your blood glucose for a bit.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Actually I think the healthiest thing you can do is get a blood glucose meter and track your blood glucose for a bit.
    +1. Best thing you can do is learn how various types and quantities of carbs affect your BG. Here is a great resource:

Blood Sugar 101

You may also enjoy this article:

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org...4/238.full.pdf
    Last edited by Artbuc; 04-05-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    LDL particle size DOES matter, because the smaller oxidised particles are more likely to injure your arterial walls.
    This may be true and it is obviously what you believe is true; however, it is just a theory.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Richard K. Bernstein, M.D., has writted a book just for you. "Diabetes Solution" Please buy and read it.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    LDL particle size DOES matter when it comes to heart disease, which is a disease of diabetes/metabolic syndrome, so I think he's giving you questionable medical advice in the bolded bit. LDL particle size DOES matter, because the smaller oxidised particles are more likely to injure your arterial walls.
    Well... that's debatable. In particular this study: http://www.nypcvs.org/images/MESA.pdf says particle size does NOT matter after you account for other factors.

You might also want to read this: The straight dope on cholesterol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well I will say; I've lost a significant amount of weight by eliminating all processed carbs except veggies; some fruits. Threw away the wheat; bagels; toast; cereal; instant oatmeal; even oat bran; dough; noodles and bread No more bananas, orange juice; Pom wonderful; just water.. Increased the eggs; and fish. Feel energetic; light; so I know I'm on the right track. Never felt so good.