Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to rescue a kitten - anyone have advice on starting it on raw food? page

TanyaV is offline Senior Member

Want to rescue a kitten - anyone have advice on starting it on raw food?

Primal Fuel
    My family has decided that we'd like to rescue a kitten from a local shelter. We know that we want to feed it raw meat, but I'm not sure how to get started as I'm sure it will have been eating kibbles. Would we start with cooking the meat first and then slowly acclimating it to raw, or mix in raw meat with some kibbles? Any advise you guys have would be great!
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Kittens are super easy going and will happily eat anything you put in front of it that is recognized as food. Ground meat is easy for them and raw egg. Don't wait too long to introduce bigger cuts and meat on bones so they learn to tear it off in smaller bits on their own. I read this book: Raw Fed Cats and thought she had the best info out there on the subject.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Thank you for the information. I'll look into getting that e-book.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I just started mixing in raw meat with my (older) cat's kibble. The juice from a package of meat is great as well, she loves that stuff! Eventually, I just sprinkled a ltitle kibble on top to entice her, but was eventually able to leave it out altogether.

I had to stop feeding her raw recently because she suddenly stopped eating and was losing weight very quickly (needed to lose it, but not that fast!). I think getting her to eat larger pieces of meat ASAP is really important, since it's hard to do with older cats who aren't used to it.

I'll definitely be getting the ebook soon so I can get back into this. Thanks!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My rescue kitten came to us at 6 months...he was an outdoor cat till he got hit by a car and lost a leg. Now he's 100% indoor, but we call him garbage can cat, because he'll eat anything, (probably from growing up outdoors) and has been known to get up on the counter and tear open meat packages when I'm putting away the groceries. I found out by accident that he loves ground meat. I dropped some when making hamburgers and now he sits at my feet waiting for me to throw it to him. We don't feed our cats raw except the occasional treat.

My only other piece of advice if you don't already have cats...GET TWO.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Kittens are super easy going and will happily eat anything you put in front of it that is recognized as food. Ground meat is easy for them and raw egg. Don't wait too long to introduce bigger cuts and meat on bones so they learn to tear it off in smaller bits on their own. I read this book: Raw Fed Cats and thought she had the best info out there on the subject.
    Do you know if the book offers much info on strategies for transitioning multiple cats? We have 5 on free-feeding limited ingredient, zero grain kibble and daily small portion of limited ingredient, zero grain canned food. I'm quite sure some will go more quietly than others. The area required to feed 5 seems like it would be quite large. And then I'm imagining the paranoid one dragging raw meat under the china cabinet to eat in peace. Nothing online that I've seen really addresses the logistics of a bunch of cats.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Hi there!

I feed my cats grain free foods. If you want dry food, I *highly recommend* "Taste of the Wild."

"Taste of the Wild" also makes a canned version, too. I have found "Taste of the Wild" brand at PetCo, but it's honestly the only healthy food they sell there that I would feed my cats.

If you want raw meat, they actually make that! You can't find it at places like Petsmart or Petco (I call these "Pet Walmarts"), you will need to find a local "healthy pet" store. These are usually small chains or individual stores. Unfortunately the fact that dogs and cats aren't meant to eat corn and wheat hasn't really caught on, so I don't expect the Pet Walmarts to carry a variety of grain free food anytime soon.

You can also buy actually GOOD pet food at vet offices, too. They usually have some, because vets (unlike the FDA) understand animal nutrition needs.

Anyway, the kind of raw meat food I feed my cats is from a brand called "Primal." They make all sorts of varieties, and it's all grain free. It's what a cat would eat in the wild. It comes frozen, so you will need to thaw some in advanced. I usually thaw two blocks of it by putting it in the fridge, it's usually thawed by 12 hours later. Then I microwave for 6 seconds to make it warm.

I see that you can order "Primal" and "Taste of the Wild" off of Amazon, actually. These brands make various different kinds of food, look for ones meant for kittens. I know "Primal" has feeding instructions for kittens on the package (and feeding instructions based on pet's weight, er, 'optimal' weight).

Ultimately, I wouldn't feed my cats anything I would not eat (okay--I would not wililngly eat something that says "Cat Food", but you know what I mean).

My overweight cat dropped from 13 pounds to 10 pounds in about 2 months, after switching him to grain free. 3 pounds is a LOT on a cat!

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Hi there!

I feed my cats grain free foods. If you want dry food, I *highly recommend* "Taste of the Wild."

"Taste of the Wild" also makes a canned version, too. I have found "Taste of the Wild" brand at PetCo, but it's honestly the only healthy food they sell there that I would feed my cats.

If you want raw meat, they actually make that! You can't find it at places like Petsmart or Petco (I call these "Pet Walmarts"), you will need to find a local "healthy pet" store. These are usually small chains or individual stores. Unfortunately the fact that dogs and cats aren't meant to eat corn and wheat hasn't really caught on, so I don't expect the Pet Walmarts to carry a variety of grain free food anytime soon.

You can also buy actually GOOD pet food at vet offices, too. They usually have some, because vets (unlike the FDA) understand animal nutrition needs.

Anyway, the kind of raw meat food I feed my cats is from a brand called "Primal." They make all sorts of varieties, and it's all grain free. It's what a cat would eat in the wild. It comes frozen, so you will need to thaw some in advanced. I usually thaw two blocks of it by putting it in the fridge, it's usually thawed by 12 hours later. Then I microwave for 6 seconds to make it warm.

I see that you can order "Primal" and "Taste of the Wild" off of Amazon, actually. These brands make various different kinds of food, look for ones meant for kittens. I know "Primal" has feeding instructions for kittens on the package (and feeding instructions based on pet's weight, er, 'optimal' weight).

Ultimately, I wouldn't feed my cats anything I would not eat (okay--I would not wililngly eat something that says "Cat Food", but you know what I mean).

My overweight cat dropped from 13 pounds to 10 pounds in about 2 months, after switching him to grain free. 3 pounds is a LOT on a cat!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Do you know if the book offers much info on strategies for transitioning multiple cats? We have 5 on free-feeding limited ingredient, zero grain kibble and daily small portion of limited ingredient, zero grain canned food. I'm quite sure some will go more quietly than others. The area required to feed 5 seems like it would be quite large. And then I'm imagining the paranoid one dragging raw meat under the china cabinet to eat in peace. Nothing online that I've seen really addresses the logistics of a bunch of cats.
    One thing I would suggest is stop the free-feeding. I bought the wrong book on the site so I can't answer the group cat question, but I would think you should do it the same way: start to introduce a little raw meat at a time. You may have to segregate the cats during feeding if they adjust at different rates.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

peppermint is offline Member
    When I got my cat as a kitten they were feeding him kibble, and they gave me the rest of the bag to feed him. I took that and started mixing it with wet food, and then for a while fed him just wet food, and the occasional scrap meat while I cook. He doesn't go for straight raw yet if I put it in his bowl, I have to cut meat up into, like, 1-inch cubed-ish sized pieces and add a little wet on top to get him started. I tried eggs but he will only eat the whites if they are cooked, but he does like yolks raw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast