Thread: What do you think about Memory Foam? Safe or not? page

mikmac09 is offline Junior Member

What do you think about Memory Foam? Safe or not?

Primal Fuel
    I know most people automatically think of memory foam mattresses, but I am actually in need of a new computer chair and have been looking at the temperpedic models since every computer chair I've ever had goes flat and uncomfortable after just a couple months. I know the termpur-pedic seat cushions are made from memory foam. I've read about how memory foam mattresses are made from potentially harmful chemicals and the off gassing has made some people sick. But what about a small office chair? Do you think it's enough to be concerned over? It's not a mattress so I wouldn't be facedown into it. My only concern is my computer desk is also located in my bedroom, but sits across the room a good 6 feet away from my bed. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by mikmac09; 04-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I really think this fear is overblown. I have a king size tempurpedic bed and am none the worse for it. Yes, there is some outgassing when the product is new. I bought my mattress just before going out of town for a week. When I got home it was all done.

So maybe get the chair and park it on the patio for a few days. Then it should be fine.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    The off gassing is incredibly strong initially. You need to have somewhere to put it until it has had chance to air out. It takes weeks for it to go. I have a Tempurpedic bed. It was so strong we had to sleep in the other room for weeks and I kept going in to walk on it to release the fumes. Totally fine now, and I am really really sensitive to things like cleaning sprays etc. so much so I only use vinegar or I get a massive migraine.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Paleo-MotorcycleMama is offline Junior Member
    We were thinking about getting a tempurpedic but now I am concerned about the outgassing. I was a bit worried about the fumes, but didn't even THINK about the smell. I am so senstive to strong smells I failed a math class once because the prof wouldn't let me change seats (away from a strong cheap perfume wearer).
    I was looking at organic wool mattresses with a natural latex rubber interior, (Sticker shock!!!!! almost 900.00 US for a CRIB sized mattress... I couldn't bring myself to look at the queen price). I wonder if anyone has tried those and if the latex smells.
    Don't know what to do now... but we are going to need a new bed one of these days.

Psukhe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I really think this fear is overblown. .

Exactly this. Just because something offgasses/smells doesn't necessarily mean it's harmful.

Colloid is offline Junior Member
    If the smell of new foam does not bother you but gives another person a debilitating headache, does that mean that is not harmful to them?

Many people have opinions about 'safety' and 'harmful' regarding outgassing of items, but this is really a n=1 situation.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmac09 View Post
    I know most people automatically think of memory foam mattresses, but I am actually in need of a new computer chair and have been looking at the temperpedic models since every computer chair I've ever had goes flat and uncomfortable after just a couple months. I know the termpur-pedic seat cushions are made from memory foam. I've read about how memory foam mattresses are made from potentially harmful chemicals and the off gassing has made some people sick. But what about a small office chair? Do you think it's enough to be concerned over? It's not a mattress so I wouldn't be facedown into it. My only concern is my computer desk is also located in my bedroom, but sits across the room a good 6 feet away from my bed. Thanks for any advice.
    Hubby and I have had a memory foam for years and still each night that I lay down, I am grateful for the comfort of it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Hubby and I have had a memory foam for years and still each night that I lay down, I am grateful for the comfort of it.
    And they last forever. I just sold my Dad's tempupedic that he had had for at least 25 years. Still wonderfully comfortable.

Psukhe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Colloid View Post
    If the smell of new foam does not bother you but gives another person a debilitating headache, does that mean that is not harmful to them?

Many people have opinions about 'safety' and 'harmful' regarding outgassing of items, but this is really a n=1 situation.

hurt ≠ harm