Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting belts page

zilog is offline Senior Member

Weight lifting belts

Primal Fuel
    Anyone use one? When I lift to failure now it's my core (abs on squat, abs/lower back on deadlift) that gives out first, rather than my legs (like when I first started lifting).

I guess if I had a belt supporting my core this would allow me to lift heavier/more reps thus working my legs more. I don't want to lose out on a core workout though! Thoughts?

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I would say if your core gives out you are not ready to lift more. Functional lifting requires the whole body. Try adding some exercises that target your core like planks, supermen, back raises. My trainer would not let me squat more unless my back was in correct form.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    If you use a belt properly, you work the core more rather than less.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I would say if your core gives out you are not ready to lift more.
    This was my concern. I'm quite happy to proceed slowly (as I've been doing all along).

If you use a belt properly, you work the core more rather than less.
    Could you elaborate on this please?

Check this link: The weightlifting belt: friend or foe? | Nutrition consultant

Here's a relevant tidbit:

"Given that the purpose of a belt is to allow greater abdominal contraction and increased pressure within the abdominal and thoracic cavities, a belt which is the same width all the way round would appear to be the most optimal design, though heavy weights have certainly been moved whilst using the tapered variety."

Hope it helps!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Nobody needs a lifting belt except for the heaviest lifts! But, I always use it in the gym anyway, because it gives me some information about my waist! My own lifting belt has holes for every inch, and when I pull it on in the gym, I get important feedback about how my diet works. I also notice how it becomes more lose at the end of the workout due to water loss etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Nobody needs a lifting belt except for the heaviest lifts! But, I always use it in the gym anyway, because it gives me some information about my waist! My own lifting belt has holes for every inch, and when I pull it on in the gym, I get important feedback about how my diet works. I also notice how it becomes more lose at the end of the workout due to water loss etc...
    I only use mine for my final work sets (on a 5/3/1 style program, so these are the heaviest sets) on Deadlift and Squats. But I work out at home, so I don't have to carry the thing around the whole time.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    I use one , not too tight, to remind me to think about my form on dead lifts.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Only on deadlifts for heavier weight
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    I guess if I had a belt supporting my core this would allow me to lift heavier/more reps thus working my legs more. I don't want to lose out on a core workout though! Thoughts?
    Others have already mentioned this, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. The purpose of a belt is not to support your back and/or abs. The purpose of a belt is to provide an external resistance for your abs to push against, such that you create a harder contraction, and thus better stability of the spine. A correct belt used correctly will actually make your abs work harder, and will actually make your abs stronger. A proper belt is the same width all around, typically 4 inches. Do not buy one of those wide in the back, narrow in the front things from Sports Authority. You want a thick leather belt of the same width. Companies like Inzer and Best Belts make good ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast