Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Paleo" meat vs. regular meat page

Zackmoses is offline Junior Member

"Paleo" meat vs. regular meat

I know that the ideal for paleo is grass fed organic meat. Or atleast thats what I seem to recall at this time.

That stuff is rather expensive though. How much of a problem is it if I'm eating regular meat instead? What about just organic?

How can I be more cost effective on meat?

Red meat is good.

Grass-fed is better.

All a matter of degrees.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    I buy smaller quantities of the best I can afford and eat lots of cheap cuts

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Red meat is good.

Grass-fed is better.

All a matter of degrees.
    +1 for FW, +1 for Chris Kresser

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Conventional meat has a slightly worse O3/O6 balance than grass-fed. Conventional also has considerably more fat compared to grass-fed.

I think conventional + a capsule of omega-3 is more or less the same as grass-fed, nutrition-wise, if you adjust for fat amount.

This position, however, is commonly thought of as heresy, so beware :-D

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how much leeway the phrase "more or less" provides. There's the CLA issue, and a few others. But you're better off eating conventional meat than conventional bread.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Can you skimp on something else first? For example, plain 'ol store brand frozen veggies are much less expensive than fresh organic veg.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Cheaper cuts - local grassfed offal is likely cheaper than supermarket industrial steak.

fish, eggs, etc. also are cheaper alternatives to meat.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    yes and things like hearts, shin bones (delicious) and flank are often really cheap

rather eat grass fed cheaper cuts than CW fillet

merryish is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This is a question near and dear to me now, as I am both hungry and broke.

My solution to it has been to move to cheaper cuts of grassfed meat - ground meat, for instance, or a giant chuck roast that will last me about two weeks of lunches/dinners. I've also started doing more salads (often with uncured/pastured bacon or organic chicken as toppings), and more meals with veggies as the main course (spaghetti squash, avocado salad, gigantic batch of roasted asparagus). And eggs - if you're broke and paleo, eggs are your best friend.

(Though, I recently experimented with scrambling eggs with bacon and cheese and veggies to near-done, freezing, and nuking for weekday mornings, and the result was terrible. I suggest either getting up earlier if you like eggs for breakfast, or switching to some other non-meat breakfast option. In summer I like coconut milk/fruit smoothies, or berries and cream. And cold bacon all by itself is amazingly good; add an avocado to that and you're set for hours.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast