Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cellulite.... page

becks83 is offline Member

Cellulite....

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone successfully reduced, or even (shock!) got rid of cellulite? It's been an issue of mine for years and I know to a degree it's genetic, but I do feel I have a disproportionate amount for my frame. I'm relatively slim, a UK 10/12, and tend to hoard most of my body fat around my bum and thighs. Unfortunately, my thighs are riddled with cellulite, both front and back.
    I have sometimes wondered if this has been made worse by the pill, since I've been taking it for 12ish years now.

I walk a lot, around 5 miles a day, plus do other bits of bodyweight work and a few sprint type efforts, and I eat quite clean, but am a bit of a sucker for some weekend alcohol or bit too much dark chocolate!

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Too much sugar, dairy and omega 6 fats can all contribute.

I can't comment on the pill - I haven't taken it for years (never found one I got on with).

How long have you been eating primal? Mine has diminished a lot over time.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Too much sugar, dairy and omega 6 fats can all contribute.
    Have read the theory that it's PUFA's in general that contribute. And that it can take 2-4 years of lower PUFA consumption to significantly reduce the cellulite. I don't have a cite handy, and I don't know if you'd consider that good news or bad, but might be worth looking into.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    From my experience, it's mostly genetics. My half sister was tall and pin thin and had cellulite at 16. I never had any and I'm getting close to 40, had two kids and gained 40+ pounds with each pregnancy. Didn't get strech marks either.

But, I've heard about some mechanical ways that work to get rid of cellulite. It's nice to have options. Not like there's a way to get taller!

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I have similar problems, and yes to a large degree it is genetic. Here is what I know about cellulite:
    It is caused due to the connective tissues that hold your fat cells together being non-uniform. In people who don't have cellulite, those tissues have an even net-like appearance (think fishnet), which contains the fat cells uniformly. So while those people can be "fat" the fat is all held together evenly. In those of us with cellulite, the connective tissues are not even (think fishnet with tears and holes). So fat cells will poke through unevenly, giving that lovely dimpled appearance we all appreciate so much.

Liposuction will not eliminate cellulite, as lipo only removes fat cells. Your remaining fat cells will still have that uneven netting holding them in. I have heard that some of the mechanical treatments like endermologie can help reduce the appearance, but I have no firsthand knowledge to offer on that. Also, it looks as though there are some laser treatments that can help, but they are costly.

I think the only inexpensive option is diet and exercise to shrink fat cells. It is not a perfect option, because we will always have some amount of body fat, and cannot change the structure of the connective tissues.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I've researched this A LOT, and I'm convinced that it's a lymphatic problem.
    See here: Welcome to the Cellulite Investigation! - Cellulite Investigation Blog
    And here: Skin / Cellulite Improvements

People report a lot of success with body brushing (it stimulates and cleanses the lymphatic system).
    I don't believe it's necessarily genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    It is caused due to the connective tissues that hold your fat cells together being non-uniform. In people who don't have cellulite, those tissues have an even net-like appearance (think fishnet), which contains the fat cells uniformly. So while those people can be "fat" the fat is all held together evenly. In those of us with cellulite, the connective tissues are not even (think fishnet with tears and holes). So fat cells will poke through unevenly, giving that lovely dimpled appearance we all appreciate so much.
    Conventional wisdom, imo!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

becks83 is offline Member
    I've been eating primal for just over a year, but I have had periods of slipping up especially around holidays/special occasions. I generally don't 'cheat' with grains, but I suppose I am a bit more lax about the PUFAs...

I did wonder if it has anything to do with my digestive issues. They were what drew me to this way of life. I've had problems with my gut for years and have realised my long-running acne was closely tied into this as well, as it has greatly improved. My cellulite doesn't seem to have got better at all though. I suppose it's a lot harder to shift that big wall of dimples! :-/ I'm still learning about all this stuff and how it's inter-connected. I guess the cellulite could be down to a sluggish lymph system, or my body's apparent issue with moving toxins out efficiently. I'm going to give the body brushing a go - I remember trying it in my teens but never stuck with it regularly - but as I've got older I've definitely learnt that you can't change things without a bit of effort. Thanks guys.

I definitely think it's a gut issue as well! These things are connected. Focus on healing your gut and do the body brushing in tandem - it has lots of benefits.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I remember having cellulite even as a skinny-fat teenager. It looks like it's gone now. Build muscle and lose fat. I haven't consumed much PUFAs for years, nor gluten. But there's really no way of knowing whether that was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I remember having cellulite even as a skinny-fat teenager. It looks like it's gone now. Build muscle and lose fat.
    Aren't you gluten intolerant? Maybe cutting gluten from your diet and healing your gut had something to do with it.

Even some Olympian athletes have cellulite.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast