Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting the macronutrients I need? page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

Am I getting the macronutrients I need?

Shop Now
    Hey everyone, I'm coming along well with this new way of eating, and I've established a pretty regular routine - I usually have the following (or something very like it) every day:

4 eggs, 2tbsp butter or coconut oil
    Maybe sauteed spinach

Large salad with about 1lb of chicken, 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar, homemade salad dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, and shallot salt)

Small spring salad,
    Baby bok choy or some other leafy green sauteed in coconut oil/bacon fat
    3 chicken thighs
    OR
    3 or 4 pork chops

Incidental bacon

Occasionally (once every 3 days or so) I'll have a half cup of greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and a teaspoon of honey as a dessert, but I think this is something I'm going to make a once a week/less thing.

I work from 10-8 so I frequently skip the big salad in the middle of the day/do unintentional intermittent fasting haha...

For a somewhat active 25 year old male (I lift weights 3x a week, try to do sprinting/complexes 2x a week) who is 6'3", 330lbs and trying to lose weight, does this seem like a decent menu? Any glaring sins of omission or comission? Thanks for any suggestions!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Beef???

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    You've got a good base focusing on meat and vegetables... I'd add more veggies myself, but that's just because I aim for 3/4 veggies 1/4 meat/fat at any given meal with fatty snacks along the way.
    ---
    ~Christine

omajoe is offline Member
    Looks like a good base. Maybe a little heavy on the protein, but might be right for you based on the .7 - 1 gram per lean mass formula. You can see how you're doing by using fitday.com every once in a while.

It also looks very low carb. Try to stay in the 50-100 gram carbs/day most of the time. Don't try the 0-50 every day. You won't get enough nutrients. So I'd increase and vary the veggies to increase nutrients and carbs. Also, make sure you have some fruit once in a while.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omajoe View Post
    It also looks very low carb. Try to stay in the 50-100 gram carbs/day most of the time. Don't try the 0-50 every day. You won't get enough nutrients. So I'd increase and vary the veggies to increase nutrients and carbs. Also, make sure you have some fruit once in a while.
    From my perspective, I'd keep the carbs below 30 grams per day and skip the fruit entirely, but it's a personal thing, I guess. In order to keep losing weight, that's the only thing that works for me. There's really nothing that vegetables provide that you can't get from various sources of fat and protein, and eating fruit while trying to lose weight is purely self-sabotage.

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice/suggestions - I'm trying to keep my carbs (of all kinds) pretty low right now as I'm working to lose like 40 lbs and I'd like to do it sooner rather than later...

Malpaz, I'd eat more beef if it wasn't so super-expensive! I can get good local chicken, pork, and lamb for way less than I'd pay for grass-fed beef...

omajoe is offline Member
    @Sharonll - I guess I was trying to go by Mark's advice on his Carbohydrate curve.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
    It just seems to me that ultra-low carb will leave you missing something. I've done it for a few days and had no energy to work out. Keeping my carbs between 50-100 on most days with the occasional sub 50 day keeps me losing weight and gives me the energy I need.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omajoe View Post
    It also looks very low carb. Try to stay in the 50-100 gram carbs/day most of the time. Don't try the 0-50 every day. You won't get enough nutrients.
    Excuse me? Where are you pulling this nonsense out of? It's perfectly okay to go zero carb if you want to. Tarlach does it and I defy anyone to tell me Tarlach isn't getting all his nutrients. What hogwash.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Excuse me? Where are you pulling this nonsense out of? It's perfectly okay to go zero carb if you want to. Tarlach does it and I defy anyone to tell me Tarlach isn't getting all his nutrients. What hogwash.
    Hey, she's just saying what Mark has said...

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Exactly. Tarlach and Steffansson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjal..._meat_and_fish

I have been in heavy ketosis for at least 6 weeks, and medium ketosis for months already, and I have more energy than I've had in years. Last week most of my team at work was sick as well as one of my daughters who was living at home, and I continue to carry on in perfect health.

It's hard to understand how long term ketosis might be ideal for diabetics, and not ideal for those of us with severe insulin resistance. Shrug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast