Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed overrated? Grass-fed vs grain-fed page 3

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I also take the environmental impact of my food into my decisions, which is why I strive to buy grass-fed meat and pastured eggs whenever possible. I do it for the health benefits of eating animals that live their lives on their own correct diets, and because I know the farmers that are selling it to me. Although I do feel fairly lucky that the majority of the grass fed meat and eggs that I buy are only $2-3 more per pound than the conventional meat. I do feel that buying as local as possible is nearly as important as buying organic and grass-fed.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

toban is offline Junior Member

Oops, my links are the same... here's the correct link for grain-fed ground beef: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/6198/2

marika Guest

SerialSinner, that was an excellent article! It was amazing the difference in vitamin E!

I've been wondering how to get vitamin E without nuts (I have problems with nuts) and sure enough, pastured meat and eggs have great amounts of E!

Catalina is offline Member

I just got this link from another forum. Looks like it has some good info about grass-fed and how/where to get it.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

toban is offline Junior Member

@marika: meat doesn't look like a very good source of vitamin E. SerialSinner's link shows that grass-fed has 5 mg per kg, which means 0.5 mg per 100g serving of meat. That's puny compared to the 15 mg RDA. My vitamin E supplement is 400IU or 268 mg!

One tbsp of olive oil has 1.94 mg. Do like Mark and chug the stuff!

marika Guest

Well there's definitely a huge difference for pastured eggs:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/05/pastured-eggs.html

So I've just eaten a few more pastured eggs every day and have had no problem reaching my vitamin E for the day (along with vegetables). Glorious!

FYI, I've been avoiding olive oil and other oils as they are so processed, and have been using pure pastured pork lard instead.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Marika, how do you come to the conclusion that olive and other oils are "so processed?" Most traditional plant based oils are based on crushing and pressing the oils out. This is true for sesame, olive, and coconut and probably others.

Not very processed.

Now, after the olive pulp is pressed yet again, modern processing DOES use solvents to get the last little bit. That's why you should always buy Virgin and Extra Virgin (first pressing.)

I imagine that that lard doesn't make the best salad dressings, superior as it may be for other uses.

Now, those nasty grain based oils are whole different stories. No traditional societies made them.

marika Guest

Oils are processed much more so than lard. I can make lard myself, it's a simple process to render animal fats. But I couldn't make sesame oil or coconut oil myself.

Lard makes an excellent salad dressing, just melt it in a pan then pour it over. It's delicious with a squeeze of lime juice!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Marika and OTB, there has been some doubt whether EVOO REALLY is EVOO. I think that is been found that a lot of the olive oils are adulterated and impure. There was a thread on it a couple months ago.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

TT, I've heard that EVOO available in the US is of really low quality. I was in Cyprus recently where olive trees grow abundantly, the oil was supremely flavorful (I don't condsider myself a gourmet to notice such nuances but the oil was just yummy). Apparently, the antioxidants in EVOO reduce after 6 months of storage. God knows how long these bottles have been sitting on the shelves.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast