Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed overrated? Grass-fed vs grain-fed page 2

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

The benefits listed by the Weston Price Foundation regarding grass fed animals are too numerous to count.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

marika Guest

I just found this, it is interesting:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/in...9&#entry323639

"Cows aren't really designed to eat any grain, it is too acidic for them. However, cows are strictly grain fed. It makes them fatten up fast (does that to humans too). To counteract all the terrible things that happen to grain fed cow's rumen (stomachs) they give them loads of antibiotics to keep them alive. This highly acidic environment in their rumen has lead to the evolution of a new type of E. Coli bacteria that is able to endure the high acid environment of a normally ph neutral cow stomach (and the human intestinal tract). And that's the form of E. Coli that is causing problems for us now. "

"Cows are ruminants, they ferment the food. It doesnt "heat up their insides" , they pig out, they bloat and can die.

Yes, if they over eat any grain - wheat or barley - it is "hot" (high energy) and creates rumen acidosis - commonly known as grain overload.

Feedlots feed a lot of grain and on the verge of acidosis all the time the way they are fed . They are fed this way to fatten them for slaughter."

toban is offline Junior Member

@marika: Yes, the grass-fed ratio is around 4-5 and grain-fed is 8-9. But my point is that the absolute amount of omega 3 is tiny (less than 0.1 g per 100g serving). So it's not going to have any significant impact on your total 6:3 ratio.

marika Guest

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, actually though, I guess it depends on how many total grams you have daily of omega 6's and 3's. It actually may help if your total intake is rather low in both.

grandma is offline Member

If you watch King Corn, you will see a comment from a rancher that corn makes the cows sick. Cows can't handle an all grain diet. In the video she says that they have to slaughter the cows when they do because they can't live much longer. Not right.

Marika, I did the same thing, you will see that the 90% ratio is better. Perhaps lean is better for grain-fed.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

marika Guest

Yes, that's what I thought, Grandma. Makes sense. After all, they've got that ruminant stomach precisely so they can eat grass!

toban is offline Junior Member

So to sum up the thread, we've established so far that:
    1. the omega benefits of grass-fed beef are insignificant, because there are hardly any omegas in them to begin with.
    2. CLA is good and the best source is grass-fed meat (and eggs/dairy).
    3. Vitamin K2 is good and is abundant in grass-fed ruminants
    4. Grass-fed is more primal (grains are unnatural, even for cows)

So, the key question: how much are these benefits worth? Do you buy the cheaper organic grain-fed, or the pricier organic grass-fed? Or a combination to get some of the nutrients and some of the savings?

Catalina is offline Member

I also try to include the factory farming practices/antibiotics/hormones issues in the equation when making my decisions.

I remember when I was a kid, one dairy advertised that their product came from "contented cows," and all of the California Cheese commercials imply the same thing--happy cows. I wonder if there is any cow--grass-fed or grain-fed that has a decent life before we get the meat we buy. . .

And, so many of us really do need to think about where we can save a buck these days. . .who would have thought that buying a pound of ground beef could be such a big decision? One thing you can say about us PBers--we don't eat mindlessly!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

Is it me or are both of toban's links the same?

Nothing of interest to contribute.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast