Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Potatoes, not Prozac?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,229

    Potatoes, not Prozac?

    Has anyone tried eating a potato at bedtime to help depression?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,548
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  3. #3
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    I don't subscribe to the notion that eating carbohydrates will give you a boost of serotonin and make you happier. I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion, but your mileage may vary. Not the world's most helpful response, I know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I don't subscribe to the notion that eating carbohydrates will give you a boost of serotonin and make you happier. I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion, but your mileage may vary. Not the world's most helpful response, I know.
    Our guts actually have more neurons in them than our brains do. So it is definitely true that quality of digestion will have a profound impact on mental health.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Our guts actually have more neurons in them than our brains do. So it is definitely true that quality of digestion will have a profound impact on mental health.
    I knew the enteric nervous system was called "the second brain" but I was skeptical that there are actually more neurons in the gut than the brain -- ENS has 1/1000th as many neurons as brain; 1/10th as many as the spinal cord. Enteric nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I mean it's still really cool

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I knew the enteric nervous system was called "the second brain" but I was skeptical that there are actually more neurons in the gut than the brain -- ENS has 1/1000th as many neurons as brain; 1/10th as many as the spinal cord. Enteric nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I mean it's still really cool
    Ahem... Slightly updated, but, well, barely. Emphasis mine.

    Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being: Scientific American

    Quote Originally Posted by Scientific American
    Technically known as the enteric nervous system, the second brain consists of sheaths of neurons embedded in the walls of the long tube of our gut, or alimentary canal, which measures about nine meters end to end from the esophagus to the anus. The second brain contains some 100 million neurons, more than in either the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system, Gershon says.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    OK well you win on comparison with the spinal cord, but the article doesn't mention the brain, which still has billions of neurons.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593
    double post
    Last edited by sjmc; 04-04-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: oops

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion.
    I've noticed this too.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,688
    Nope, for me eating carbohydrates, no matter the quality, has not helped with my depression at all. I'm not advocating medication as the ultimate solution, but sometimes pharmaceuticals has its uses.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •