Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes, not Prozac? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Potatoes, not Prozac?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone tried eating a potato at bedtime to help depression?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Timthetaco Guest
    I don't subscribe to the notion that eating carbohydrates will give you a boost of serotonin and make you happier. I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion, but your mileage may vary. Not the world's most helpful response, I know.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I don't subscribe to the notion that eating carbohydrates will give you a boost of serotonin and make you happier. I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion, but your mileage may vary. Not the world's most helpful response, I know.
    Our guts actually have more neurons in them than our brains do. So it is definitely true that quality of digestion will have a profound impact on mental health.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I've noticed my own depression and anxiety are intimately tied to the quality of my digestion.
    I've noticed this too.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope, for me eating carbohydrates, no matter the quality, has not helped with my depression at all. I'm not advocating medication as the ultimate solution, but sometimes pharmaceuticals has its uses.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

PseudoDiva is offline Junior Member
    You could always try 5-HTP. It acts as an SSRI. I use it sometimes when I have trouble sleeping.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoDiva View Post
    You could always try 5-HTP. It acts as an SSRI. I use it sometimes when I have trouble sleeping.
    That's what I use, but I wasn't going to say anything without further information from the OP.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

otzi Guest
    Potatoes are actually better than Prozac, they contain Lithium! Lithium is used to treat bi-polar disorder and a known mood stabilizer. Maybe this is why the Potato Hack works so good...

The precise amount you eat depends largely on the lithium content in the soil, which can vary widely between different countries and regions. For example, the ground water of northern Chile is particularly lithium rich. However, some plants have a greater propensity for absorbing lithium. Nightshade plants such as peppers, potatoes and tomatoes demonstrate a remarkable tolerance to lithium and can reach a lithium content of up to 1,000 mcg per gram.

Read more: Foods High In Lithium | LIVESTRONG.COM

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Has anyone tried eating a potato at bedtime to help depression?

If you don't mind giving symptoms of the depression, it would be most helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast