Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potatoes, not Prozac? page 2

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Potatoes are actually better than Prozac, they contain Lithium! Lithium is used to treat bi-polar disorder and a known mood stabilizer. Maybe this is why the Potato Hack works so good...
    I feel like that only makes sense if one has a deficiency in lithium. Bi-polar disorder is not the same as depression and they are not treated the same way.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Our guts actually have more neurons in them than our brains do. So it is definitely true that quality of digestion will have a profound impact on mental health.
    I knew the enteric nervous system was called "the second brain" but I was skeptical that there are actually more neurons in the gut than the brain -- ENS has 1/1000th as many neurons as brain; 1/10th as many as the spinal cord. Enteric nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mean it's still really cool

double post
    Last edited by sjmc; 04-04-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: oops

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Has anyone tried eating a potato at bedtime to help depression?
    Serotonin is actually a stress hormone. If your serotonin levels are elevated, your body is stressed. Imagine serotonin as Morphine. If you're given Morphine, it's due to severe physical trauma, but it makes you feel great. If your "Morphine levels are elevated," you're actually feeling really good but we know to have Morphine in our system it's because of a really bad thing. Scientists have it backwards - they think elevated serotonin is good because it makes us feel good, but it actually means we're suffering trauma just like if doctors put us on Morphine it means we have a major injury.

If potatoes are making you feel better, it's probably because a lack of carbohydrate is causing an increase in stress hormones. You would probably have better luck with fruit than starch. Starch instantizes is the bloodstream. It's very effective after a workout and centered around a very active lifestyle, but fruit sugar is better for the average person since it's slow-releasing and more constant. Sugar is too demonized in our society while complex carbohydrate is praised. It happens even in Primal/Paleo circles. Starches are becoming acceptable but sugar is still demonized. Sugar is our preferred fuel source - sugar #1, starch #2, fat #3.

A potato may help improve your sleep by consuming it two hours before bed though since you'll be falling asleep on the backside of the insulin spike. Fruit may give you energy before bed. Why not just consume more fruit at all times?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I knew the enteric nervous system was called "the second brain" but I was skeptical that there are actually more neurons in the gut than the brain -- ENS has 1/1000th as many neurons as brain; 1/10th as many as the spinal cord. Enteric nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mean it's still really cool
    Ahem... Slightly updated, but, well, barely. Emphasis mine.

Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being: Scientific American

Quote Originally Posted by Scientific American
    Technically known as the enteric nervous system, the second brain consists of sheaths of neurons embedded in the walls of the long tube of our gut, or alimentary canal, which measures about nine meters end to end from the esophagus to the anus. The second brain contains some 100 million neurons, more than in either the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system, Gershon says.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    OK well you win on comparison with the spinal cord, but the article doesn't mention the brain, which still has billions of neurons.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    OK well you win on comparison with the spinal cord, but the article doesn't mention the brain, which still has billions of neurons.
    I'll give you that one perhaps. But if anyone reads that article and still doesn't believe in the connection between digestive health and mood/brain functioning and health, they're not even trying.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies... didn't mean to start a thread and then not show up again. I don't think I have the greatest digestion, I think I may be dealing with some deficiencies, and my diet hasn't been very balanced lately. I may try to add some fruit into my diet to see if it gives me more energy. I think that is my main symptom... lack of energy and motivation and just feeling blah in general. Depression runs in my family so I go through bouts of it.

I may give 5-HTP another try. I also have L-Theanine for anxiety when I feel that, which isn't all the time, so I don't take it on a regular basis.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you feel you are really missing out on fruit, tune in to that and experiment with adding some back in.

Another couple of things, try adding in some algaes like Chlorella and Spirulina. They are super nutrient dense & they feed the brain. I could send you more info you'd like. Also, raw pure Cacao. seriously.

Maca powder (a tuber similar to a potato) is an adaptogenic. It helps your body cope with stress and bring your hormones to balance. It will nourish you and help you feel well and balanced.

Maybe instead of 5-HTP try with those algae, raw cacao, or Maca.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12