Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am the only thing standing between my fat self and my fit self! page 2

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinsky View Post

I could seemingly weigh a bit less because I couldn't keep any solids down, but then again I could have a gain because I have had SO much water to drink and really haven't had to pee much.
    I don't know your carb intake from the day before but this happens to me everytime I over do it on the carbs. My body retains water for some reason.

Hope your feeling better!

Kavinsky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
    I don't know your carb intake from the day before but this happens to me everytime I over do it on the carbs. My body retains water for some reason.

Hope your feeling better!
    Thanks Enilegna/hearts! Thankfully today I am feeling 100% better! I'm not sure of my exact carb intake either, but I can't imagine it was very high, since my carbs come almost completely from non starchy veggies.

Today's journal entry is going to be a bit earlier in the day than my previous ones, because I have an exam to study for the rest of the evening.

Luckily for me I did not experience a repeat of yesterday's events and I was nausea-free all day! I was a little scared to step on the scale this morning because I didn't know how much being sick would affect me, but I was exactly 146 pounds this morning, which is right around where I have been for a couple of days. Although I didn't feel sick to my stomach, I didn't have a very big appetite today so I had a couple of eggs for breakfast and just a little bit of baked chicken with fresh veggies for lunch. I don't think I'll be hungry for dinner.

This morning I had a lot of energy so I figured I'd go ahead and get a workout in first thing. I did strength training, a short core workout, and I wrapped it all up with some stretches. I think stretches are my favorite part, they just feel so darned good I was planning on going for a walk around the neighborhood earlier this afternoon but I got caught up with things and didn't get a chance.

Tomorrow I have classes for most of the day, which means a great deal of sitting and looking down at a piece of paper all day to take notes. I have been forced into this posture for years and years on end all through high school and college, and it has started to affect my body in a negative way, or so says my physical therapist of a boyfriend . All kidding aside though, I know he is right because sometimes my neck hurts for no apparent reason and I can feel a bit of a bump at the base of neck where one of my vertebrae seems to stick out more than the ones above it. It seems as though I have developed a slight case of something called forward head posture, which could eventually give me a humpback and some other issues if not corrected. So in addition to my regular work outs I'm now going to be adding in a few exercises and stretches to help bring my head and neck back into a neutral position.

Well, I really should get back to studying now I suppose. Hope everyone had a great day!

Yesterday was another strange day for me as far as nausea goes. I ate breakfast, which was a 4 egg omelet with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and then started getting ready to leave for class. As I was styling my hair, I got this sudden overwhelming wave of nausea and lost my entire breakfast... After that I felt completely fine and didn't feel sick to my stomach at all for the rest of the day. I thought maybe it was because of my supplements, but they have never made me feel like that before, and I've been taking the same ones for well over a year on a daily basis.

I think this is just my body trying to rebel at the lack of carbs from wheat and sugar, and maybe my body is detoxing a bit as well. I've been trying to keep carbs low to help with my weight loss. Although I don't count exact numbers, I just figure out a ball park range based on what I ate for the day. Yesterday I had gained about half a pound and was at 146.4 pounds, but this morning I had a huge loss of 2.2 pounds, bringing me to 144.2 pounds and a total of exactly 5 pounds lost since last Wednesday, April 3rd.

I'm half expecting a small gain tomorrow because of the huge loss I had this morning, but that's ok, I know weight fluctuates naturally. Before I even stepped on the scale this morning I knew I would see a substantial loss because my belly looked smoother and less bloated. I'm so excited to finally be back on track and losing weight. I know right now it's mostly water weight, but hey, getting rid of extra water weight is important too, and definitely helps smooth out some of the weird lumps and bumps caused by extra bloat.

I plan on getting in a work out this evening when I get home from my last class. I think from now on I will try to post my journal entries in the morning. I would like to try and stop using my laptop so much at night to see if it helps me sleep better.

Yesterday was my longest day of classes, and I was definitely mentally drained when I got home. I really wanted to just veg out in front of the tv for awhile but I still had so much to do. I cooked dinner, did a few chores around the house, worked out for about 30 minutes, and started research for an upcoming paper I have to write. Yesterday for breakfast I had an egg omelet again with diced tomatoes, peppers, and a little cheddar cheese. I skipped lunch because I hate having to pack along food while I'm at school. Dinner was baked chicken and steamed broccoli and a mug of homemade cocoa for dessert.

I told my boyfriend (who is mostly primal and has always been very health conscious) last night that I've lost 5 pounds and he was very happy for me and said I should be very proud of my progress so far and the fact that I am taking control of my health and fitness. I think he is one of my biggest motivators, I love making him proud of me and I know he loves seeing me take charge and live a healthy lifestyle. In his profession (physical therapy) he sees dozens of clients a week that are very unhealthy and lead sedentary lifestyles accompanied by poor diet. That's certainly not something I want for myself in the future, and I know he doesn't want me to go down that path either.

We both have parents that are less than healthy and very unwilling to change their ways. Thus we both agreed well over a year ago that we would not end up the same way, and that led us to the primal blueprint. He has had more luck sticking to it than I have, with only an occasional treat here and there. He can stick to just one small non primal item every so often... I, on the other hand, have a tendency to want more and more if I have so much as bite. He genuinely enjoys working out, which I sometimes struggle with, and he also loves the primal approved foods. Not that I don't, I really love meat and most veggies, but I do miss some things, like bread and bakery items. I had a bit of a love affair with pastries and donuts and muffins a few years back, hence how I gained almost 30 pounds in 4 years...

Anyway, as I was saying, it is such a joy and a relief to have someone so close to me support me in my quest for fat loss and health. I really can't imagine doing this without someone in my corner cheering me on. My mom doesn't understand it, she thinks I'm the perfect weight and healthy enough as it is, so I get very little support there. In fact she sometimes sabotages my efforts by sending me chocolates and baked goods in the mail or bringing them to me when she visits, even though she knows how badly I want to lose the extra weight and be healthy. She knows very little about health, I'm afraid, and has very little interest in learning about it. She tunes me out if I try and explain anything primal blueprint related to her. Maybe it's just a matter of finding the right way to educate her, but for now I have learned to just ignore her "advice" and go about doing this myself with my boyfriend to back me up.

Yesterday was a great day for me. I had class and work until early evening, and then I met up with one of my very good friends I haven't seen in over a month. Although we attend the same college, our schedules are so different this semester that it has been hard to find time to get together. We talked for hours about anything and everything. We even had a nice conversation about the detriments of wheat and gluten. Come to find out she has recently decided to try out a gluten free (but not sugar free) diet to see if it helps her with inflammation and acne. It will be nice to have a friend that I can talk to about at least some of my reasons for eating this way. I told her about my progress and how much I currently weigh. I'm not sure if she was being nice or if she was really surprised, but she told me she never would have guessed that I weighed close to 150 before I started this journey again. Sometimes I find it hard to believe too because all my body fat is so evenly distributed that I don't have a large amount of excess fat anywhere in particular.

I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get in much exercise other than walking around campus between classes and work. Breakfast was plain scrambled eggs, and I was a bit hungrier than usual before work so I stopped to buy myself I salad for lunch. My friend and I also went out to dinner, and we both stuck to the fantastic salad bar that was available. I've never liked olive oil and vinegar for a salad dressing, but last night I decided I would try out olive oil and lemon juice, and I was very surprised at how delicious it was. I think it may be my go-to dressing from now on. It's easy and dairy free, which I like because I do try to keep my dairy limited. I've been told that certain forms of dairy can cause a very big insulin spike that can't really be explained by the amount of carbohydrates it contains, so in the hopes of maximizing my fat loss I am limiting it for now.

As far as progress goes, I am really beginning to see some small changes in my appearance. My stomach is smoother already, I don't have weird little lumps anymore, so I'm guessing I've gotten rid of most of the bloat I was carrying around. I really can't wait to start seeing more changes in my thighs and arms, especially my arms. I used to think my arms were fine the way they are, but now I really want to work on getting some definition and real strength in them. It would be nice to be able to do a pullup without assistance. I'm also working on building back strength and core strength.

I work all day today, and when I get home I plan on working out. My mother is coming to visit tomorrow so I may not get a chance to update again until tomorrow afternoon or Sunday. I really hope she doesn't suggest eating out, but she most likely will since she does every time she visits. I don't blame her though, we have a lot of really great restaurants in town, and she has mostly fast food places where she lives. I also have a dinner date with another good friend on Wednesday, and she loves Mexican food so hopefully I can find something on the menu that isn't too terrible.

Well it has been longer than I expected since I have been able to take some time and write an update! The weekend was very busy for me. As I said in my last post, my mother visited on Saturday and stayed for most of the day, and coincidentally my boyfriend's parents called Saturday evening to ask if we would be around on Sunday so that they could come visit.

Before all that though, I had a chance to read many of the posts in the Alternate Day Fasting thread Friday at work, and I have to say, the idea hooked me from the get go. I hate restricting calorie intake for days on end, so to be able to eat normally every other day is very appealing. Although I haven't counted calories thus far, I have consciously eaten smaller portions, so I know I have a decent caloric deficit. I know, I know, calories supposedly don't matter that much, but for me they really do. I don't lose weight unless I eat less and eat relatively low carb, plain and simple. And eating less than I would like every single day is tedious for me, and I think that is part of the reason why I have fallen of the primal wagon so many times in the last year.

Anyway, after reading many of the posts and doing some research on my own, I decided I was going to give the alternate day fasting according to the Up Day Down Day method a try. I did the HCG diet a couple years ago, and managed for almost a month on only 500 calories a day, so I don't think every other day is going to be an issue for me, but we will see. I did my first Down Day on Saturday, splitting my calories up between lunch and an early dinner. Yesterday was an Up Day, so I ate normally (but still primal of course) and worked out. Today is a Down Day, and I am saving all my calories for dinner. I was hungry around noon, but by 2pm the hunger had mostly disappeared. Now it is coming back though, so I think dinner will be early tonight.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will both be Up Days for me, because I have dinner plans with a friend on Wednesday and I would like to be able to enjoy myself and actually eat something at the restaurant. I'm excited to see how I do on this plan. I've dropped a pound since Saturday morning. Hopefully the scale won't fluctuate too much on my two Up Days in a row.

As far as weight loss progress goes, I am losing at a relatively fast rate I think, but I do expect it to slow down some eventually. Also, although most of my fat is not on my stomach, in the last couple of days I have noticed that the fat I do have on my abdomen is quite a bit softer and springier than usual. I hope this is a good sign. I've heard of this phenomenon before, and how it can sometimes be followed by a fairly decent "woosh", and I really hope that's the case!

PrimalCon New York
    Phew, I have had a couple of very busy days this week, hence the lack of updates. Why is it that all of my big projects and papers for school are always all due at the same time?! Thankfully the semester is over in 3 more weeks.

The last week has been so-so as far as my weight loss progress. Yesterday I was 143.2 pounds, exactly one pound down from the previous Wednesday, April 10th. Today, however, I am up 2 pounds and now weigh 145.2. I know why though, and it's my own fault. I had dinner plans with a friend last night at a small Mexican restaurant. The menu was small and there were only two dishes (salads of course) that were free of grains and legumes, and neither of them sounded very appealing. I wasn't in the mood for salad to begin with, and especially not for $15 a pop when all they contained were veggies and a little guacamole. So, I had a cheat meal. I honestly didn't plan on it, I really planned on getting something primal, but when I got to the restaurant and looked at the menu, I decided I'd rather spend my fifteen dollars on something I would enjoy and never actually make for myself than on something I eat almost every day.

The meal I chose was delicious. Of course everything was wrapped up in flour and corn tortillas, but I skipped the rice and beans. I knew my weight would take a hit because of the carbs and sodium, but today is a Down Day so I do expect a lot of it to be gone tomorrow. Although I did enjoy my brief departure from primal eating, I know it will definitely not be a regular thing at all, because I don't want to hinder my weight loss. I have a few more social obligations to attend in the next few weeks, so I will have to come up with a game plan to get through those unscathed.

As far as alternate day fasting goes, I think I am doing fairly well. Today is my 3rd Down Day, since I decided to make both Tuesday and yesterday an Up Day owing to my dinner plans. My hunger definitely comes in waves. One minute my stomach is grumbling and I have the sensation of hunger, and the next minute I feel fine, neither full nor hungry. I have been trying to drink more water on Down Days, but I think it actually makes me hungrier and almost makes me a little light headed. When I have my meal tonight I will be sure to drink a big glass though.

I have been sticking to an every other day work out routine that also coincides with my Up Days, and I am finding that when I can work out alone in the privacy of my own home and at my own pace, I actually enjoy it. I may not have all the fancy equipment a gym has, but between myself and my boyfriend I have enough small weights and resistance bands to challenge myself. I'm slowly getting into a comfortable routine that doesn't have me constantly wondering what exercise to do next. Now I just need to vamp up my slow movement, and with warmer weather coming I hope this will be easy to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12