Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do ... page

kpopstar is offline Junior Member

Don't know what to do ...

Primal Fuel
    So I started Primal a LONG time ago and for the 3 weeks that I followed the 'program' - it was great! I lost 12lbs and an amazing amount of bloat. But life got busy and I stopped following it.

So now I'm ready to get back on this, and I'm FULLY committed. I have a ton of unused personal training sessions that I never used at my gym, so I decided to to start using those as well. I was super excited when I got matched with my trainer because the guy follows a Paleo/Primal diet and comes from a cross-fit background. I thought this was perfect because we're already on the same page.

I have 3 goal 'dates': one in May, one in August and one in November. I just want to lose as much weight as I possibly can by each date (I don't have a set number, and actually - I'll be measuring by clothing size, as my trainer actually convinced me to put my scale away).

I'm doing high intensity training with him 3 days a week and interval cardio 3 days a week and taking one day off for rest. I know this is kind of intense, but I'm fully committed to my goals.

So where the problem lies, is that he wants me to restrict my calories (and I know there was a huge thread about calories in, calories out - so I don't mean to make that happen again here ...) to 1300-1400 a day. I feel like I'm restricting myself, but I'm coming in between 1500-1600 calories in a day. I'm now concerned that I'm not getting enough fat. I usually get my fat from cooking with EVOO/butter and the yokes of eggs. But those are high in calories! He also wants me to eat breakfast. But I'm not hungry in the morning. I usually start my day with a BAS for lunch.

I honestly don't have time to re-read the book, so I was wondering if anyone could just weigh in on what they think I should do. When I first started primal, I never counted anything, and I ate dark chocolate and fruit at night and lost weight easily! This time I've cut all sugar and I only eat fruit before dinner (which I don't have much). Its only been a few days since I've restarted Primal eating .. but I'm so terrified that I won't lose as much as I can. (I have at least 100lbs to lose, just as an fyi)

So I guess what I'd like opinions on are:
    1) is it okay for me to skip breakfast and still achieve the most weight loss I can?or is there some benefit to breakfast that I'm missing?
    2) what should my fat/carbs/protein ratios be? or where can I find that info to compute myself?
    3) don't worry about the carb counting bit, I think that was covered in the other thread

thanks to anyone who weighs in!
    35 yrs
    Pre-Challenge Weight: 219.5

My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37214.html

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    1) no breakfast magic. It's daffy to eat without an appetite.

2) macrats usually aren't worth the stress IMO--far better to make the best choices within each category (the hazards of excess protein/carb/whatever are hard to encounter unless you dip into refined foods). Keep in mind that part of your "diet" will be stored fat so no need for precise reckoning. My arbitrary starting point might be 20%BMR protein, 20%BMR carb, and as much fat as you need to make food edible (plus some eggs/coconut/seafood for their unique nutrients).

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    Eat when you are hungry, but not to excess and only good stuff and you will be fine. The important thing is to LISTEN to your body. If you need to eat more, eat more. If your body craves a bit more carbs after a tough workout, have them and then revert to super low carb after. Attitude has as much to do with success as anything. Try to cut as much fruit as you can and sub in veggies. Nuts are super high in calories so be careful with them, but other than that I wish you all the luck and positive vibes I can to get you to your goal. You can do it and do not get discouraged, it often takes women longer to see major losses, but when they happen they happen quickly!
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    So...your trainer wants you to eat at likely near starvation levels and have you do intense workouts SIX times a week? I'd be concerned, too. It honestly doesn't sound like a good plan, IMO.

If you aren't hungry at breakfast, don't eat then. Eat when you do get hungry, stop when you're full.

If you're just getting back into the swing of it, I'm not sure there's any benefit to focusing on ratios - just eat clean, unprocessed food, making protein and a decent amount of fat (not tons of it) the center of each meal.

You say you lost weight easily eating primally the first go round...so why not just do what you were doing then? Why is it MOAR important to lose as much as fast as you can this time? That's not always ideal either, and I can speak from experience...I lost 100lbs in just over 5 months and although I'm grateful the weight is gone, losing it that fast screwed my body up in ways that can never be fixed. All in all, your focus should really be on your health, not on the number on the scale. If you're building muscle in as you lose fat, the scale isn't going to drop like a rock, but your body will start to look leaner and more defined. But on a diet as low in calories as your trainer is gunning for, you might have a hard time building muscle...

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Oops...
    Last edited by lemontwisst; 04-03-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Double post...D'oh!

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Just finished a thread that i believe might help ya

Applying fitness principles to your diet.

It just throws up the idea that if constantly challenging our body with heavier weights and differing excercises causes a great desirable outcome for our body composition, then why wouldn't the same idea work on our internal (metabolic) systems. Grok never had food scales or charts or the internet to check what macrats and calorie amounts other groks where eating.
    I'm damn sure his diet would've varied greatly on a day to day basis, this would've caused great robustness in his metabolic systems. like the differing physical challenges he faced day to day caused his body to become very robust.

Have a look
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your trainer is of a CW mindset.

Breakfast is not necessary. It does not jump start your metabolism. In fact, the old "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," thing came from a study that Kellogg did on seven and eight year olds so that Kellogg could market cereal. It's BS pure and simple for adults, and there are some studies that show you burn more calories working out on an "empty" stomach.

Calorie restriction and/or burning more calories than you usually do is the only way I can lose weight. With a qualifier. I have been over 200 pounds twice in my life. At that weight, I can lose about 20 lbs just changing macros. After that the calories are key. Other people's bodies are different, so I only speak for me.

1500 calories is fine. You'll lose a little faster on 1200, but the difference isn't too significant. If you can stick to 1500, but 1200 derails you to the occasional binge, then 1500 is better.

You're 35. You can probably handle six days a week of working out. But do know that it's not necessarily the most efficient way to go. Building muscle/lean body mass requires not only work, but rest. Short term okay, but in the long run (jmo) six days a week will lead to injury/fatigue/burn out.

If you eat a lot of animals (I include eggs as animal product), you normally won't have to add fat to your eating. Adding oils/fats to plants often facilitates the uptake of their nutrients, but animals come with their own fat.

Last note. What you're doing is stressful. Not all stress is bad, but stress is stress. Get a good amount of sleep and relaxation. And of course, good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Eating that little while working out that hard is a pretty good way to cause metabolic distress.

I don't think you're going to be successful with a goal of losing tons of weight as fast as possible. In fact, that's pretty much conventional wisdom DIETING. If you eat well and do exercise you enjoy, then you'll get healthy and, as great side-effect, lose weight. It is two different things.

Now, if for some reason you left out the part where you exercise regularly and this is just adding a little bit more, feel free to disregard my advice.

Still, if you are hungry then eat and, goodness gracious, do not skip on the carbs with that kind of workout regimen.

kpopstar is offline Junior Member
    Gosh - thanks so much for the feedback. I appreciate everything everyone had to share.

I think I'm going to stick with the no breakfast thing, and try and watch the calories, but also pay attention to what my body is telling me. (which I guess should be common sense.)

I don't plan on doing the 6 day thing for a long time, but I just want to go for it for the next few weeks. And my reasoning is purely for vanity sake. I'm headed to Korea in May and I had the realization that I'm going to have to be in pictures ... which absolutely freaks.me.out. So I figured I could do nothing and emotionally eat myself to an additional 10lbs from the stress, or I could finally make a lifestyle change and feel better about myself - even though I'll still not be anywhere close to where I want my 'goal' to be.

Oh - and I just realized I haven't updated my signature in a while. I'm actually 37 now. HAHA!
    35 yrs
    Pre-Challenge Weight: 219.5

My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37214.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I haven't eaten breakfast in years. I do IF because I get sleepy when I eat and so one big meal a day works for me. Eat when you want to.

From your user name, I take it you're a k-pop fan too?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast