Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbs other than Sweet Potatos? page 2

Lynx33 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    right now my goal is just to maintain my weight. I switched to paleo to see if it would help me with this brain fog that i've had for years. I thought it may have something to do with wheat or grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If you react badly to sweet tasting foods, perhaps your body is trying to tell you something there.

Maybe you don't need to be eating a lot of carbs. Is there a reason why you are looking for more of them? What are your goals? Weight loss/gain?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Plantains, baked with coconut oil are really nice.

Jorjor is offline Member
    my body seems to like bananas the most when I need a carb fix, but since your avoiding the sweetness maybe white rice....

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Artichokes.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemart View Post
    Scotch
    Not sure this would help with brain fog. *chuckle*

OTOH, it's probably more satisfying than a potato, and with enough of it, you'd forget the brain fog.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes have always been too sweet for me. I do eat them though. I get white Japanese sweet potatoes that are not sweet. I can hardly tell they are not white potatoes. They even look white inside.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx33 View Post
    Hello, what are some sources of higher carb foods other than sweet potatoes? I have a very low tolerance for foods that taste sweet. The sweetness makes me gag, I almost through up today when finishing some sweet potato with my meal. Is squash as sweet as sweet potatoes?
    Do you have a low tolerance for all foods that taste sweet, including fruit, or for things that you *think* would be savoury but are sweet-ish instead, like a sweet potato? I know I get like that sometimes with sweet potatoes, but I could easily be tempted to eat 10 pieces of fruit a day. Meat and fruit together sketches me out, though - pork chops and applesauce? *Gag*

Anyhow...white potatoes and rice are great suggestions; plantains are some of my favourites as well but can sometimes border on that savoury/sweet area depending on how ripe they are and how they're prepared. Squash is a great way to go...I love butternut squash 'fries'; cut it into fry-ish shapes, toss in oil (bacon fat, what?), season, and bake until brown and delicious.

Lynx33 is offline Member
    Fruits I can tolerate. I like pears, apples, berries. Bannanas I like, but only if its still slightly green. If its too ripe it makes me gag. Sweet potatoes have that overly sweet taste like ripe bannanas. I usually have frozen blueberries after some steak and eggs in the morning..mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Do you have a low tolerance for all foods that taste sweet, including fruit, or for things that you *think* would be savoury but are sweet-ish instead, like a sweet potato? I know I get like that sometimes with sweet potatoes, but I could easily be tempted to eat 10 pieces of fruit a day. Meat and fruit together sketches me out, though - pork chops and applesauce? *Gag*

Anyhow...white potatoes and rice are great suggestions; plantains are some of my favourites as well but can sometimes border on that savoury/sweet area depending on how ripe they are and how they're prepared. Squash is a great way to go...I love butternut squash 'fries'; cut it into fry-ish shapes, toss in oil (bacon fat, what?), season, and bake until brown and delicious.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Wow OP, I'm the same except I have that reaction with savory foods... I think my body is trying to tell me something.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx33 View Post
    Fruits I can tolerate. I like pears, apples, berries. Bannanas I like, but only if its still slightly green. If its too ripe it makes me gag. Sweet potatoes have that overly sweet taste like ripe bannanas. I usually have frozen blueberries after some steak and eggs in the morning..mmm.
    Not all sweet potatoes are sweet. What colour are the sweet potatoes you eat? I don't like the orange sweet potato at all. mushy when cooked and overly sweet.

The New Zealand Kumara is really good. It has a purple skin and a cream/white inside. The texture when cooked isn't as mushy and if you crisp up the skin, and even burn it a little on the outside, the taste is incredible.

There are more than one sweet potato - just see if there are other stockists of different types around...

Different varieties of sweet potatoes: how do they differ in taste?

For the record, the new zealand kumara is similar to the Japanese one in this article - but it is white with purple streaks through the inside...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast