Thread: Better sleep when not in ketosis. Which is preferred? page

Classic is offline Senior Member

Better sleep when not in ketosis. Which is preferred?

Primal Fuel
    I was talking about this in my blog but thought I might get some ideas if I posted this thread instead. I have trouble sleeping when in ketosis. It seems I feel and sleep better when I have around 60 to 70 carbs in my diet.
    Sleep is very important to lower stress hormones so does anyone know of any research or ideas on what I might do about this?
    I think my weight loss stall will continue unless I can stay in ketosis more. OR is this self defeating because it may not work either since cortisal will increase due to lack of sleep stress????

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    maybe because you are really worried being in ketosis?

jermicide is offline Member
    not worrying about being in ketosis will also lower stress hormones..

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis does tend to produce insomnia. Dr. Eades talked about it once in his blog.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Good question Classic. Lack of sleep can effect weight loss as can stress. I read Eades' blog on the subject and if I recall he says he takes a teaspoon of honey before bed to temporarily take him out of ketosis until he gets to sleep. Didn't work for me, however I think my sleep issues are down to other causes. I have recently taken combined 5-htp and magnesium and it seems to be helping.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    I've been in heavy ketosis for about 6 weeks now, and I consistently sleep about one hour or so less than I did before. At first, it worried me, as I set my alarm for 4:45 and will be wide awake at 3:30. I generally go to bed around 8:30 or 9, and it takes about 10 minutes to fall asleep. So from 9 to 3:30 is only 6.5 hours and I had been sleeping 8 hours.

But, I'm finding that I am not suffering any typical problems with getting less sleep. I'm wide awake through the day, have adequate energy, have an optimistic viewpoint, and I sleep soundly when I'm sleeping, so I have decided that for me, ketosis means I don't need as much sleep, which I'm taking as a very positive side effect of weight loss and overall health. I seem to be one of those people who function best while in ketosis, so I'm quite pleased about changes to my sleeping patterns.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the comments. I have been wanting to read Eades books so I think I will order one.