Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Primal on a Budget? page 5

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I like your positive attitude
    Thanks I had a great trip, Aldi is so awesome for primal eating! Spent about $25 there and got eggs, ground beef, ground pork, canned tomatoes for the soup recipe, spices, veggies, evoo and even a pound of strawberries, which were on sale for .99!
    Finished up at Meijer with two whole chickens and some natural beef brat things-regularly $4 a package but they were on sale for $2.50, plus there was dollar off coupons on them-score! Oh, and got six bell peppers on the reduced produce rack for 1.74

LeenBee is offline Junior Member
    Just hang in there notlupus. Things will get better.

LeenBee is offline Junior Member
    I need some advice. I like in a small city in South Africa. Trying to eat paleo in our country isn't easy. Especially on a budget. Meat, even non-grass-fed is expensive and so are nuts. As much as I love nuts, we just can't afford them. I've been on paleo for about a year now. My kids haven't come round but I've been pushing my ideas on them. They do eat eggs for breakfast most mornings and I don't give them tons of pasta like I used to - it's an occasional treat which I feel so guilty about.
    My teenage son has been having digestive problems so I told him it's the wheat and grains so now he's hardly eating anything because he's afraid of getting sick. I can't afford to feed him meat for breakfast, lunch and supper. Would it be okay if I give him rice cakes or what do you suggest? My husband and I eat a salad for lunch with a small amount of protein in it. I haven't got my kids to do that yet. Maybe one day they will reach that point. Gluten free flours and products are way too expensive.
    So does anyone suggest what I can feed my fussy kids on a very frugal paleo diet? I do make full-cream yoghurt in our machine. At least they eat that.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeenBee View Post
    Would it be okay if I give him rice cakes or what do you suggest?
    I'd go with potatoes, rice, and fruit--especially plantains and bananas if you have them. Dry carbs like flour and cakes are the least satiating or even appetite stimulants so I would avoid them at all times.

Yogurt is very good. Do you have canned seafood? That + eggs can provide a lot of cheap protein. When you do buy meat choose bone-in pieces and make lots of soup--the gelatin content makes it very filling.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeenBee View Post
    I need some advice. I like in a small city in South Africa. Trying to eat paleo in our country isn't easy. Especially on a budget. Meat, even non-grass-fed is expensive and so are nuts. As much as I love nuts, we just can't afford them. I've been on paleo for about a year now. My kids haven't come round but I've been pushing my ideas on them. They do eat eggs for breakfast most mornings and I don't give them tons of pasta like I used to - it's an occasional treat which I feel so guilty about.
    My teenage son has been having digestive problems so I told him it's the wheat and grains so now he's hardly eating anything because he's afraid of getting sick. I can't afford to feed him meat for breakfast, lunch and supper. Would it be okay if I give him rice cakes or what do you suggest? My husband and I eat a salad for lunch with a small amount of protein in it. I haven't got my kids to do that yet. Maybe one day they will reach that point. Gluten free flours and products are way too expensive.
    So does anyone suggest what I can feed my fussy kids on a very frugal paleo diet? I do make full-cream yoghurt in our machine. At least they eat that.
    Rice and potatoes are the staple starches in our house. Cheap and easily digestible by almost everybody. He could eat them at every meal if he wanted.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Thanks I had a great trip, Aldi is so awesome for primal eating! Spent about $25 there and got eggs, ground beef, ground pork, canned tomatoes for the soup recipe, spices, veggies, evoo and even a pound of strawberries, which were on sale for .99!
    Finished up at Meijer with two whole chickens and some natural beef brat things-regularly $4 a package but they were on sale for $2.50, plus there was dollar off coupons on them-score! Oh, and got six bell peppers on the reduced produce rack for 1.74
    You're making me hungry!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345