Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a Budget? page 4

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Rich people telling me to get a third job WHILE I'M IN GRAD SCHOOL and recovering from almost dying! How original.

I can't dumpster dive due to allergies. My response was to tell you to stick with saving money on food and you got all butthurt because you aren't as thrifty as you thought you were. It's ok. Once I graduate and start my 6 figure salary I'll be able to retire super early thanks to what I've learned from years of life taking a dump on me. I want to retire at 45 but the husband wants to buy a Ferrari or two so we'll see what happens.
    I've been in grad school and I know how it is to have a course load so heavy that you simply cannot work and have to rely on a Student Stipend (if you're lucky to get one with the budget cuts!!). I even went through a semester living entirely on student loans. If NC means North Carolina then you are in the US and can get student loans to help supplement your income. I did and I don't regret it a bit. I wanted to live in a place where I wouldn't worry about getting raped or robbed, drive a car that was reliable, and not have to scrimp and save and be miserable. Sure I had to budget on a fraction of what I make today but being a student in the US doesn't automatically equal being destitute.

Take the freely given advice from people and lose the attitude. You might just learn something.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    There are some sites around that focus on paleo on a budget. Just found this one http://www.feedtheclan.com/

Primitiva is offline Member
    The BEST place to buy cheap meat and produce is the hispanic market hands down that place is awesome. For pantry items like canned goods stores that sell generic brands like Aldi, Save-a-lot and Walmart are your best bet, always remember to check the ingredients. I made an experiment and took $50 cash with me and this is what I came home with. A little tip I divide my list into proteins, fats and veggies/fruits it helps me visualize my meals better.

Hispanic Market
    - proteins
    5.90 - 10lb bag chicken quarters (.59 lb.)
    5.79 - 6.5lbs. pork roast (.89 lb.)
    2.99 - 1dzn. pastured raised eggs
    - produce
    1.47 - 3lbs. zucchini (.49lb)
    1.34 - 1.5lbs. eggplant (.89lb.)
    1.00 - 15 sweet plantains (my favorite yum.!)
    .91 - 2lbs. onions (.39lb)
    1.24 - 2lbs. green peppers (.59lb)
    3/.99 - cucumbers
    1.20 - 2lbs. tomatoes (.59lb)
    1.99 - 3pk romaine lettuce
    1.10 - 1.5lbs. bananas (.44lb)
    - fats
    4/$2 - avocados (.50ea)
    1.78 - 2 cans coconut milk .89ea.
    = $29.70

Walmart
    - proteins
    3.50 1lb. frozen wild caught salmon
    1.48 15oz. oval tin sardines in tomato sauce (fyi-better deal then the 3.5 oz. tiny tins for $1.25)
    - produce
    1.24 28oz. can diced tomato
    - fats
    4.42 spectrum coconut oil (6.42-$2 off coupon)
    = $10.64

Dollar Tree
    3.00 3 1lb. bags frozen broccoli ($1ea.) (fyi-better deal then $5.98 for 3.6 lbs. bag at Walmart)
    1.00 1 bag 12oz. frozen blueberries (fyi-better deal then $2.64 at Walmart same amount)
    1.00 1 bag 12oz. frozen strawberries
    = $5.00

Total = $45.34 woot!

A couple of notes I didn't buy beef since I get grass-fed beef from Publix ($7.29lb) or Target ($6.99) and I have 4 lbs. already in the freezer. I also buy free range whole chickens from Publix ($2.49-$2.89lb) still have one in the freezer as well. I also prefer to buy my leafy greens organic of all things, but I had already bought the romaine lettuce.
    The bottom line is totally possible to buy $50 worth of groceries for a week. It might not be the most fancy of the ingredients or foodie/gourmet like, but it sure gets the job done and your belly full.

soo how did I do? did I miss something?

humm, some dark chocolate right? I still have 5 bucks left though.
    Last edited by Primitiva; 04-09-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Very impressive! Think I'll try this experiment when I shop next week.

Another tip for stretching a tight grocery budget that I hadn't read here yet (although apologies if I missed it) is swapping food or services for food. While I don't hunt or fish, I have friends that do and they sometimes have extra venison, duck, goose or fish. Other friends regularly have extra fruits in the autumn. I've swapped my freshly dried herbs, homemade jams, and dehydrated fruits for meat and eggs. Some of the skills I've shared include knitting, quilting and sewing torn gear.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably going to get flamed all the way to hell for even suggesting this, but... for those of you with the guts to do it, here's a pro tip: live livestock animals are cheaper than the already packaged ones. At least if you go by weight. Plus - you end up with a whole lot of bones and offal. Minus - there is a very real chance of you going down the way of the vegetarians if you have not butchered an animal before. If you're REALLY interested in getting next-to-free meat, the real way to go is to start a small homestead and raise bunnies in the back yard.

Otherwise you might be able to find butcheries that specialize in wild game and who does the butchering job for hunters. Many hunters don't want the offal, tongues, bones, feet and stuff like that and you could end up with it to an even more affordable price than you'd get at the butcher down in the town center. You need some luck to find a place like that near you, though.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Brand new to primal eating and doing my first shopping trip today, armed with $40 cash. The plan is to start at Aldi and get 2-3 dozen eggs, ground pork sausage and ground beef, for the mini spicy meatball recipe Mark posted a few days ago, some veggies, cheapy spices, and maybe some.olive oil. Then Meijer for 1-2 whole chickens for the crockpot and canned tomatoes for Mark's tomato soup recipe It will be tight, but I should be able to make it work and I'll have enough food for about a week, I hope lol.
    Last edited by mom23kids; 04-24-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    The problem is that all the ways you suggest to "save money" are things this person probably already does. They want help with food, not rich people talking about giving up showtime so they could buy grassfed steak.
    You might take for granted that the OP has cut back expenses to bare bones, but they didn't say so how do you know for sure? Most of the helpful posts are common sense ways to save money - or increase value for the $ - or reprioritize the budget that you or I consider normal. But how many people have you met who claim to be "broke" ...yet manage a daily Starbucks visit...or a tropical vacation... don't assume the OP is actually poor. They might just be poor at managing money.

Food costs what it costs, and unfortunately it costs more in some areas than others. There are lots of ways to save money on groceries and other household goods. Shop the sales, clip coupons, buy meat by the 1/4 or 1/2, etc. I find it curious that the OP (and others who've posted similar questions) consider FOOD to be last on the list after "all the other bills" are paid. In our house our monthly food bill is second only to the mortgage payment. Eating well and cooking most of our food at home is a priority. And not because we live extravagantly, but because we live FRUGALLY in most other areas.

I suggest visiting Paleo on a Budget
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Brand new to primal eating and doing my first shopping trip today, armed with $40 cash. The plan is to start at Aldi and get 2-3 dozen eggs, ground pork sausage and ground beef, for the mini spicy meatball recipe Mark posted a few days ago, some veggies, cheapy spices, and maybe some.olive oil. Then Meijer for 1-2 whole chickens for the crockpot and canned tomatoes for Mark's tomato soup recipe It will be tight, but I should be able to make it work and I'll have enough food for about a week, I hope lol.
    I like your positive attitude
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

Yeah, you telling me to give up cable THAT I'VE NEVER HAD helps so much. Thanks. Or quit using the drycleaner THAT I'VE NEVER SET FOOT IN will save me money too. Just like buying clothes at the thrift store like I have been for years and years already. I lived off less than someone that worked at McDonalds, so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.
    hahahahah! She thinks I'm "rich people!" You funny lady.

My advice? If you can't do anything else to make your life "richer", find something that makes you happy and do that. At least you can be poor and happy. Because you sound effing miserable. And I doubt that being any "richer" would change that.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    hahahahah! She thinks I'm "rich people!" You funny lady.
    I know. That made me so mad, my monocle fogged up and I spit out my mouthful of caviar and Champagne. Good thing I had plenty of $100 bills to clean up with. Thankfully, I hadn't used all of them to light my Cuban cigars.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast