Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a Budget? page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Yeah, you telling me to give up cable THAT I'VE NEVER HAD helps so much. Thanks. Or quit using the drycleaner THAT I'VE NEVER SET FOOT IN will save me money too. Just like buying clothes at the thrift store like I have been for years and years already. I lived off less than someone that worked at McDonalds, so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.

How about we just get all this out of the way with this "helpful" article so we can focus on ways to save money ON FOOD. Twenty money-saving tips from bankers and their wives | Job news & advice | eFinancialCareers
    You want us to wave a magic wand and increase your salary? We gave our best ideas and advice. Potatoes and eggs. Bananas and cheese. Liver and canned sardines. If you have cable, cancel it. If you dry your clothes, start hanging them.

Your response was to whine about us not understanding how poor you are. If you're that poor, you shouldn't be shopping for Primal food, you should be picking through a dumpster for half eaten sandwiches.

Or get a job.

A-hole.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan.custer View Post
    Another thing that helps is making a menu based on sale items in the weekly ads. Then rummaging through your pantry for every ingredient, making a list of what you need for each meal. Then only buy what is on the list. This helps us a ton. I spend about 300 a month, for a family of 3. So not a big jump over your budget. I also do tons of leftovers. When making dinner, I try to keep back or make enough for lunch the next day. 2 boiled eggs and an avocado, banana, or orange costs less than a dollar a day for breakfast.
    ZipList is really handy for this, it integrates the ability to clip recipes from the web, put the ingredients on a shopping list, and once you put in your zip code it shows a $ icon when one of the items is on sale at a local store.

When our budget is tight, I buy rice and potatoes to stretch our food. I personally don't eat much of it because I don't need the carbs, but the other less-Primal members of the household do. I also try to use large, cheap cuts in the crock pot over several meals and use sauces to mix things up--for example I take a large boston butt and cook it in the the crock pot with neutral seasonings (S&P, garlic, paprika), shred the meat, and use homemade BBQ sauce on it one day, then salsa another day for a Mexican twist (topped with avocados from Aldi, cheapest place hands down to get them). Aldi is a great suggestion if you have one near you, I have even found that some of their produce is organic, just not advertised (or priced) as such. I always buy my fresh clean 15 produce there, particularly bananas and avocados.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Rich people telling me to get a third job WHILE I'M IN GRAD SCHOOL and recovering from almost dying! How original.

I can't dumpster dive due to allergies. My response was to tell you to stick with saving money on food and you got all butthurt because you aren't as thrifty as you thought you were. It's ok. Once I graduate and start my 6 figure salary I'll be able to retire super early thanks to what I've learned from years of life taking a dump on me. I want to retire at 45 but the husband wants to buy a Ferrari or two so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    ZipList is really handy for this, it integrates the ability to clip recipes from the web, put the ingredients on a shopping list, and once you put in your zip code it shows a $ icon when one of the items is on sale at a local store.
    You should try southernsavers.com for coupon match ups with local ads. I get all the SO's non-primal stuff super cheap that way and sometimes there are coupons for meat items as well. The last time Harris Teeter had super double coupons there was a printable pork coupon and I stocked the freezer with some pork chops at about $1/lb after the coupon. When Target had a giftcard deal on pop-tarts I ordered coupons off ebay. They were under $1 a box of 12, and now I don't have to worry about the SO running out and paying full price for them. If there is something on southern savers I really want to stock up on I will buy coupons on ebay, but I mostly stick with the ones I can print since I don't have time to cut them from the paper every week and keep track of them.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Rich people telling me to get a third job WHILE I'M IN GRAD SCHOOL and recovering from almost dying! How original.

I can't dumpster dive due to allergies. My response was to tell you to stick with saving money on food and you got all butthurt because you aren't as thrifty as you thought you were. It's ok. Once I graduate and start my 6 figure salary I'll be able to retire super early thanks to what I've learned from years of life taking a dump on me. I want to retire at 45 but the husband wants to buy a Ferrari or two so we'll see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus
    This is turning into the same BS that got posted when I asked about budget options.
    They want help with food, not rich people talking about giving up showtime so they could buy grassfed steak.
    so having rich people giving me stupid advice to "save" money on things I can't afford sucks. I've never seen this level of snobbery on ANY other forum.
    I personally forced you to go to grad school, so I understand your ire. I apologize on behalf of all people who made the mistake of trying to be helpful. I'll pass on responding to the ad hominem attacks/your ridiculous presumptions about my lifestyle.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    what an obnoxious child you are. the only one "butt-hurt" in this thread seems to be you.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A lifesaver when the economy tanked and I had to give up my car in 2009 was buying my rice in giant sacks. I ate a lot of rice in the next year. I also got in shape walking miles to get places, but that was a gradual process.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    You should try southernsavers.com for coupon match ups with local ads. I get all the SO's non-primal stuff super cheap that way and sometimes there are coupons for meat items as well. The last time Harris Teeter had super double coupons there was a printable pork coupon and I stocked the freezer with some pork chops at about $1/lb after the coupon. When Target had a giftcard deal on pop-tarts I ordered coupons off ebay. They were under $1 a box of 12, and now I don't have to worry about the SO running out and paying full price for them. If there is something on southern savers I really want to stock up on I will buy coupons on ebay, but I mostly stick with the ones I can print since I don't have time to cut them from the paper every week and keep track of them.
    Thanks, I forgot about Southern Savers. I used to be a serious (but not extreme) couponer, but when we changed our diet to ditch the processed foods (and eventually went Primal) I stopped doing it as much. I still print some coupons (Earthbound Farm, Applegate, etc.) but didn't think to keep up with Southern Savers. I miss Harris Teeter, when my youngest was a tiny and colicky baby they actually let me do triple coupons using their Express Lane pick-up.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    We're poor primal and just get our meat from Kroger. We don't aim for anything special and I always try to look for the discounted expiring tomorrow meat. If your grocery store does that, it's good to go in the middle of the week early morning after they've restocked everything to get the discounted stuff.
    We buy whatever is on sale and sometimes splurge on something if we're really wanting it.

We're lucky and get our eggs from my husband's parent's chickens, but I'm sure there are plenty of people like them who sell their farm fresh free range eggs very cheap. They only charge 1.50/dozen for theirs (we get them for free but everyone else pays that ).

While obviously grassfed stuff would be best, it is expensive as hell and well, not all of us can afford to spend that much on it. Dn't beat yourself up if you have to eat conventional meats.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

If any of you are in the southeast and want to join a facebook group to keep up with deals on paleo friendly sales at area grocery chains let me know. The chains in my area are: Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Kroger, Lowes Foods, and Super Target.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast