Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Eating "six small meals a day", anyone?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540

    Eating "six small meals a day", anyone?

    At the risk of being burnt at the Paleo stake...

    Just wondering if there is anyone out there who follows the "eating smaller amounts, more frequently" protocol, and if so, how do you implement it? Do you actually have six small meals, or is it four meals+two snacks / three meals+three snacks etc. etc.

    Do you notice any benefits from eating this way?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Birkenstocks & hairy arm pits.
    Posts
    9,068
    Not I. This is the road to ruin for people who like to eat. I like a nice meal that fulfills me. No way six meals per day can do that. I'd rather eat one meal per day that is hearty, healthy, and fulfilling than six meals that make me feel like crap and always hungry. Maybe if I were active 16 hours per day, I would feel differently. But as an average to lazy person who exercises only to be healthy, I'm going to pass on the whole six meals a day thing. Even two meals per day that are fairly hearty is better than eating like some rabbit. I believe this is one more government scam to keep us addicted to Monsanto/ConAgra shit food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not I. This is the road to ruin for people who like to eat. I like a nice meal that fulfills me. No way six meals per day can do that. I'd rather eat one meal per day that is hearty, healthy, and fulfilling than six meals that make me feel like crap and always hungry.
    this is pretty much exactly where i'm at. when i have a meal, i want it to be a big, colorful, varied meal. i couldn't do that with six smaller meals. hell, i can't do that with three meals. 1-2 is great for me.

    my wife has had some success with this though. she wasn't eating primal at the time, but that doesn't matter. the thing that worked was that she was staying conscious about those six or seven small meals/snacks, which kept her from snacking on crap throughout the day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    I tried eating six meals a day to gain weight. Lost weight.

    Yep, I physically cannot do it - I lose my appetite, feel sleepy, feel like I'm eating all day, etc. I can devour a massive meal (kilo of potatoes/pound of meat/cheese/cottage cheese/veggies/guac - a la nachos) and dessert in a couple hours, but couldn't possibly eat that same amount spread throughout the day. It's maddening,

    The benefits of it - the reason I tried it and why I recommended to a couple of my undereating school friends trying to bulk up - is it's easier (for some people) to get their calories in that way. Some people can't eat volumes of food in a sitting. It's weird.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I tried eating six meals a day to gain weight. Lost weight.

    Yep, I physically cannot do it - I lose my appetite, feel sleepy, feel like I'm eating all day, etc. I can devour a massive meal (kilo of potatoes/pound of meat/cheese/cottage cheese/veggies/guac - a la nachos) and dessert in a couple hours, but couldn't possibly eat that same amount spread throughout the day. It's maddening,

    The benefits of it - the reason I tried it and why I recommended to a couple of my undereating school friends trying to bulk up - is it's easier (for some people) to get their calories in that way. Some people can't eat volumes of food in a sitting. It's weird.
    This is me. I could never get my usual calories per day without snacks (2 per day to go with my 3 meals).... I just have never been able to eat a lot at a sitting, but can eat often. I tried doing the 3 meals per day thing, but I was either uncomfortable from being too full, or way low on calories.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,783
    It depends how long my day is. I feel better if I eat every 4-5 hours, so if I get up at 4 am, and go to bed around 9-10 pm, I will eat about 5 times. Some meals are fast and small, some meals are prolonged and larger (dinner and tea). I find that if I do not eat, I can't concentrate on work or grow angry or whiny.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    I used to eat 6 meals a day when I spent a few months in the Body For Life mode. It took so much time to fix all those meals and then pack most of them to take with me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,202
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    nihil

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    This is conventional wisdom at it's finest. Read up on TEF, six small meals, one big meal, no difference in metabolism; it's the same net value.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #10
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    Yep, The Primal Hummingbird Diet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •